brake controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all.

I need to pick up a break controller before the weekend after next. I don't know much about them. I am planning on ordering the controller from Atlantic British:

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/ETBCA.cfm

Any words of wisdom before I pull the trigger?

Thanks.

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't necessarily feel constrained to go throug AB. Keep in mind that the LR3 uses a standard Ford brake controller connector. I beleive it is an F150 connector. You can get the best brake controllers made with this connector. All complete plug and play in the LR3. Check out the Prodigy line and you can get the connector for about $13.

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks schafari.. I had seen some things searching through the forum about it being a Ford connector. The reason I was/am planning on going with the AB connector (that I linked) is because they have photos and instructions and I'm sure that it will fit and look nice. LR3 isn't exactly the average vehicle, so I didn't want to get a connector and try to put it in just to find out that it doesn't fit or look nice.

Anyway... I'll do a bit more research today. Thanks again.

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went ahead and ordered the Prodigy 3. It was definitely a bit more pricey, but based on the reviews it sounded like it was worth it... even though I only tow about once or twice a year :stupid:

vinnysca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a Prodigy 2 for my 27ft Airstream and am towing with my LR3. It works great! Took a few minutes to hook it up to the harness under the brake padle. I also modified a bracket for it that made it easy for me to manually activate my Airstream brakes. I just bought an extra suction mount bracket for a Garmin NUVI 1490T.

Here are a couple photos:

http://i753.photobucket.com/albums/xx179/vinnysca/Airstream/IMG00501-20100730-1841.jpg

http://i753.photobucket.com/albums/xx179/vinnysca/Airstream/IMG00502-20100730-1841.jpg

Vince

Last edited:

Kenjengrif

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll be happy with the Prodigy controller. I went ahead and mounted the controller bracket to the panel just above my right knee. Yes, I made holes, but I was able to snake the wire through the void behind the steering column ....

Attachments

• LR3 and Bambi.jpg
    LR3 and Bambi.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 117

boxster33

Reaction score
Rookie Here:
Do I also need to buy a wiring kit as well for my 08 LR3? I keep seeing its a Ford adapter, but does the brake controller come with it, or do I need to buy it separately?

Thanks

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rookie Here:
Do I also need to buy a wiring kit as well for my 08 LR3? I keep seeing its a Ford adapter, but does the brake controller come with it, or do I need to buy it separately?

Thanks

Wiring kit not needed. See the "Instructions" tab of the link in the original post.

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another idea for mounting the brake controller is to utilize the cup holder. I cut a "plug" from oak that is basically the exact diameter dimensions of the internal diameter of the cup holder. Think of a cup cut in half and made from solid oak. I then primed/painted it black and put a small thin layer of felt around the points it contacts the cup holder in the LR3. I then used the mounting bracket that comes with Prodigy and mounted it to the oak plug. The Prodigy has a quick disconnect that plugs in/out of the back of the unit.

This makes is oh so easy to plug in the Prodigy brake controller just like setting down a travel mug coffee cup. The fit is nice and tight and I have had zero issue with this system for over 4 years. Zero modification the to LR3 as well. Intsant access to the Prodigy, etc. Wires come up from behind the unit so they are unseen while pluged in.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9