brake job, sigh

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Heem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$1362 for a 4 wheel brake job. She needs rotors all the way around and pads.

sigh, the joys of Land Rovering.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Someone is getting ripped off.... break job complete with rotors shouldn't cost half that much.... buy the parts from Nathan http://www.discountbritishparts.com/ and either do the work yourself, or just find a good mechanic to work on it.... they don't even have to know rovers to do brakes.

Heem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
from what I'm told it's the labor involved in removing the rotors. From what they tell me (and I have no choice but to believe them) they have to disassemble the hubs and such to get the rotors off. they say it's a 4 1/2 hour job for the front, and slightly shorter for the rear.

Maybe they are just jerking me around, I don't know. I mostly trust them as they have been working on my Jeep for a few years now.. but you never know maybe they see the land rover and their eyes turn into dollar signs?

Ares

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its true. The hubs and rotor come off in one unit. There are 4 bolts (I think) that need to be removed and they can be a ***** to get off if you dont have an impact wrench handy. The outer wheel bearings and a few washers come out with the removal process. Its a great opportunity to not only get familiar with your rover, but to inspect the wheel bearings and replace them if needed. If you are somewhat mechanically inclined, its a fairly easy job, just have access to a impact wrench or be able to drive the hub/rotor assembly to a "friend" with one. If you need step by step removal of the assembly, this site has decent instructions and pics

http://www.4x4wire.com/rover/maintenance/front_axle/wheel_bearings/

I recently did all corners on my 98 D1 and it took less than a couple of hours.

If I couldnt do this, I would try to at least find someone familiar with Rovers or a good mechanic that is aware of the hubs. The quote given to you by LR is their normal rate, but it is way too much for my taste.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99