Brake troubleshooting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cyberegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've made an appointment for a brake inspection at a place called Les Brodies, a hawaiian chain that specializes in tires, alignments and brakes. I have a tendency to trust them....soon after I got my Disco, I had the tires replaced at Costco (Mistake) , but I took it into Les Brodies for an alignment. They checked the alignment, said it was fine, I didn't need it, and didn't charge me a penny. !!!!! Since then, I've found out an ex-LandRover mechanic works there, now I just gotta remember his name. We'll see what they have to say, I'll let you know after I take it in friday.

Thanks Virginia, crunchy is a good word for it, did it give you doubts about stopping ability? I had adopted the habit of hitting the brakes a couple times before really driving anywhere, but was thinking I'd better find out, again, what was going on, and I was concerned it was getting worse. Specially since I hope to go down to Waipio Valley someday.

How long have you been driving like that? Do you feel the same way I do, that since I have a 96, and in not as-new condition, it's not worth it? Have you thought about trying a used ABS module?

One thing for sure, it's a good reason to not let anyone borrow it. When I had my truck, friends were wanting to use it. :smile:

D

disco1

I'm probably chiming in a little late, but the symptoms sound like the ABS sensor/s are the problem. I had this problem occur on a couple of occassions where it would come and go at random as you described. As changing out the sensors is not cheap, I chose to put up with it, and on both occassions the problem went away. The first time for over a year and the second time more than a couple of years. I haven't had to change the sensors and I still have ABS braking, and no further problems.
Perhaps as RoverChic suggests, one or more of them just need a little re-seating.

D

discomike

Cyberegg,
You might want to actually talk with the mechanic and make sure he has full knowledge of ABS units or you may land up just spinning your wheels so to speak.
It is safe to say he won't have a test book at that is means he will be guessing only.
Call around on the Island and see who does ABS work and can actually test it, like you said eariler, it's a 96 and not in new condition, no since spendig so much on guessing that you start car payments again.
Mike J.

cyberegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update:

The brake inspection didn't go into ABS or the electronics of the brakes, but at least pads, rotors, calipers are all OK. They told me the pierson (sp?) rod on the steering was loose, and they tightened it for me. I had been noticing something up with the steering, and it now feels better. They suggested taking it to the dealer for further diagnosing. There is no "dealer" here, just a mechanic comes over from Oahu weekly to the local Honda dealer to do LR work.

In another posting, Joey posted this link: http://www.spanishtrailrovers.com/Tech/Maintain/Diagnosing_ABS/diagnosing_abs.html
I'm going to try this. Wish me luck.

cyberegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update:
I followed the instructions in the link, and found out......nothing. The instructions were not written for my year Disco. Oh well. Hopefully the link may help someone else.

E

ecroskey

Cyberegg

I too am having the same problems. Please let me know if you find an answer.

For everyone else, is there just a way to shut off ABS altogether and use the brakes normally? Can I just pull a fuse and be on my merry way, or is that a BIG No-No?

Regards,
Eric

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo