Brakes - Replace Now or Wait

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattypV50

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have my yearly service due in the new few weeks. I know that my brakes are getting close to needing replacement but no light is on yet.

Question I have. I do most of my driving in the summer so starting between now and the spring I will only put probably 2500 miles on the truck.

Should I wait for the brake light to come on or should I just get them replaced in a few weeks when I go it?

Braking is still fine. I know the dealership will tell me to do them now. Just wanted to get your feedback.

Thanks,
Matt

samcarloso

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally would wait. You have about a good month of pads left after your brake light turns on. I usually need to replace my rear brake pads every 15k miles as I do more city driving than hwy (stop and go at every stop light where I'm from). So I try to get the most out of my brake pads.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to LR service when the light comes on you still have about 20% life left in your pads.
I have to say that I don't trust it but they're probably right about this.
I think that I just don't like having lights on the dash.

dj_karl

Reaction score
If braking is fine and no other issues whatsoever, I would wait.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As the others have said, wait for the light then schedule to have it done at your convenience - no hurry given that you don't travel that much over the winter. My light went on a couple of weeks ago. I went ahead and took it in yesterday as I had a window of opportunity where that was convenient. They replaced the rear brakes (it was the rear brakes that triggered the light). But the front brakes are only half way used! I am at 39,400 miles and this is my first brake service. But about half those miles are highway or off road and I am easy on brakes. I don't commute but I do a lot of "around town" driving. On steep descents I use engine compression. I also began pulling a 6,000 lbs trailer this Summer (though only about 1K miles this season) so that will wear on the brakes - particularly the rear - more than in the past. I expect to wait until around 60K miles to change the front brakes.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9