Bucking Disco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coldfrez

Reaction score
Please help,Help,HELP.

I own a 2001 disco and i have been having problems with it for the past few weeks. when i accelerate under partial throtle, at times the vehicle starts to buck and i lose all power. When this happens the spedo drops from what ever speed i was going down to ZERO.

I took the truck to the stealer and was told that the front left hub was bad, and the ABS module was on its way out. of course they would fix it for me if i hand over my first born son...(no deal). i ordered two new front hubs and replaced them. the problem did not go away. it still presists. this is very frustraiting and im trying to think "out the box". could the problem be a Mass Airflow Sensor??? If it is, how is it that the spedo drops down to ZERO. Could the problem be in the ABS module??? the shuttle??? Ugg im so frustrated. PS at this time i dont have any check engine light. Please HELP, I love the truck and dont want to get rid of it.:help::help:::help:

lsawicki

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've a range rover classic, and this has happened to be me once or twice while going ~65mph...it seems to drop power, speedo goes to 0, and then goes back to normal. It may have something to do with the Throttle Position Sensor?

Last edited:

tempestv8

Reaction score
Sounds like your engine is not getting enough fuel.

Could it be that your fuel pump is on its way out?

When you took your vehicle to the dealer, I think they went down the path of troubleshooting by using the Testbook or some other OBDII code reader to have a look at the ECU. And that's where they probably uncovered the other errors related to your braking system.

So you have more than just the "bucking" problem.

Either way, you should fix the braking system problem but also tend to the loss of power problem.... :ahhhhh:

BTW you don't say whether you have a TD5 or V8.....

bleizit

Reaction score
I experienced a similar problem with my '99D1 after a mechanic replaced my serpentine belt and misrouted it. After driving a while, the battery power level dropped, as the alternator was not charging properly, the vehicle would 'buck & sputter' with the speedo and tach dropping to zero. I killed all power (ie: radio, lights, air) and it returned to normal for another few minutes until I got it off the hwy. The improper serpentine belt routing didn't get the alternator turning at the correct rate. I would recommend having the alternator output checked and ensure the serp belt is tight.
Off the top of my head, I believe if the throttle position or speed sensor go out it will throw a code and trigger the CEL.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM