Buying used 2005-2007 LR3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CNDLR3

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm currently in the market for a used LR3. It would be used as my DD (Roughly 40-50 miles per day) and cottage/camping rig. Wanted to get your thoughts on buying an LR3 with 65,000 to 85,000 miles on it. Reason for buying one with that many miles is because of my budget and the lack of used Land Rovers in the Canadian market. Would I be making a mistake? I'm mechanically inclined, but I want something reliable. Sorry for asking a question that has probably been asked a 1000 times.

Here's an LR3 i'm currently looking at:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/windsor-area-on/2006-land-rover-lr3-hse-100-approval-rating-tmrfinancial-ca/1104940167?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are going to get significant off-road (and this could be just camping and adventure-driving) use out of it, I think it's the right choice. The DD mileage would have me concerned though. If you are going to shop 'em, make sure that they've been well maintained. Read up on this forum and others to learn of the common issues and their symptoms (EAS stuff, diffs, bushings, water ingress). If you can recognize a clean one and then maintain it...it'll be great for your purpose.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The DD mileage would have me concerned though.

Why concerned? That's only 1000/month which leaves a heck of a lot of miles for weekends or trips. Driving these a bit further at one time (per start-up/trip) is almost always better than a short commute trip.

Codename Duchess

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi CND,

My current Rover is an '07 with 250k kms on it. I love it far more than any other vehicle I have ever owned by such a large margin it makes me tear up just looking at it. It's designed to keep your family safe, and to pull you and yours reassuringly through any obstacle in your way.

My advice is to make damn sure you're going to work on it yourself. I will never say these trucks are unreliable. I will say the dealers are on another level entirely when it comes to repairs. You can't take it to CT for alignments. You can't get the trans fluid flushed just anywhere. Rims need to be correct, need bi-hex bolts for the brakes etc.

If you have a budget, take the price of the Rover and double it over the next year if it's going to be take to a shop in case something pops.

Also since we're in Canada, parts are ridiculous to order, everything comes from the UK or US, so you need to think ahead when doing repairs. No going to Napa to grab something if you need an unexpected part.

That being said, from my research an '07 or later is a better bet. Things like the compressor are upgraded, and a few other minor things.

If anything ever happened to my LR3 I'd just go and get another one without hesitation. For my 5 member family it's perfect, and riding trails is a blast. Especially when it's 95% jeeps, and I've got 3 kids in the back watching Star Wars while we're slogging through a mud hole the Jeeps couldn't make it through.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@jwest, agree on drives a bit longer being better for it. What I meant to imply is that the faster the miles are put on the more frequently the maintenance intervals are hit. Kind of a weak point...but the OP seems budget conscious.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM