Cable hanging down (damaged) from my rear passenger wheel well (Update: Resolved!)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oddboy

Reaction score
Update: Went back to the mechanic today and explained what I'd found - he was apologetic and immediately came outside to inspect the work. Thankfully the NEW brake wear sensor was installed (I feel like an idiot for not looking closer by taking the wheel off) but must have slipped out of the connection and fallen behind the strut. The OLD brake wear sensor was NOT removed correctly which explains why it was dangling (hanging on by one of the clips). I assume it was a junior mechanic who had made a mistake.

He added some dielectric grease for the connection and quickly re-connected the new rear brake pad wear sensor. Didn't take more than five minutes. I feel slightly bad for assuming the worst, but I'm glad it all worked out!

Saw this today under my rear passenger wheel well and I have no idea what this cable is (zip-tie is mine to keep it off the pavement). It appears to go up toward the struts, but it's hard to tell. I had my front and rear brakes (rotors, pad kit, pad sensors) replaced four days ago on 4/24/2024 at a local mechanic. I've used them before and have established a pretty good relationship...I think.

Despite this cable hanging free there are no dash / warning lights. The brake light indicator (worn brakes?) came on temporarily while my wife was driving yesterday but it went away shortly after. Any ideas?

Attachments

• Photo Apr 28 2024, 12 22 42 PM.jpg
    Photo Apr 28 2024, 12 22 42 PM.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Photo Apr 28 2024, 12 23 10 PM.jpg
    Photo Apr 28 2024, 12 23 10 PM.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like the rear brake wear sensor. The warning light likely came on while the thing was coming loose but now that it's dangling and doesn't have a connection to ground it's "reset".

Oddboy

Reaction score
It doesn't look very new for being 4 days old.
No it does not. This is the second time I've had something odd happen after being in the shop.

I don't know if I should bring it back to the same shop that may have tried to screw me out of parts or go to another mechanic and see if they can determine if the parts I was charged for on the invoice were actually installed...

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The brake pad sensor was not replaced.
The sensor has an internal wire that wears through, indicating the pads are worn.

Oddboy

Reaction score
Update: Gently tracked the cable with my hand behind the strut hoping it was simply the old cable left-over and not removed properly. Unfortunately it was still connected, and after a gentle tug it came loose. The brake wear warning is back on my dash. Definitely not a new brake pad sensor. Hoping this was due to negligence and not shady business practices.

An odd note is the invoice states "DESCRRIPTION: REAR BRAKE PAD SENSOR - QUANTITY: 1" - Aren't there technically two sensors?

Attachments

• Photo Apr 28 2024, 5 31 34 PM.jpg
    Photo Apr 28 2024, 5 31 34 PM.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 14

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your old pads never wore to the point that the sensor went off, there's no reason to change the sensor.

That said, if you paid for it to be changed... it should have been changed.

Looks like they forgot to reconnect it to the brake pads when they buttoned everything back up. So now you need a new one regardless.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
An odd note is the invoice states "DESCRRIPTION: REAR BRAKE PAD SENSOR - QUANTITY: 1" - Aren't there technically two sensors?
Nope, just one per side, the assumption is the axles wear about the same side to side.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is definitely shady business practice. They need to tell you that the brake pad sensors are hanging loose disconnected. Look how its hanging down. If you were to loop that around a twig it could tear out the wire and cause a MIL out in BFE.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo