Can Tire Height Cause Transmission Fault?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alex05LR3

Reaction score
Multiple sytem faults (HSC, trans. Parking brake, cruise ctrl, ABS)

Hello everyone...I've been browsing the site for the past couple of weeks as a guest. I thought it was time to take the plunge and get my feet wet so to speak. I have a new (to me ) 2005 LR3 as of last month. Unfortunately, it has been bitter sweet the past couple of weeks because of the multiple sytem faults (HSC, transmission, cruise control, ABS, etc), unshiftable "F" gear selection, and lowered suspension.

I realize these are common problems with the 2005 (and newer) LR3 model year. I've scrubbed the older threads and taken some corrective actions as follows:

Replaced with new battery. Didn't get an Interstate replacement, but the one I did get has 950 CCA. This worked fine for 2 days, then the same faults showed up.

I then replaced the Brake Light Switch as often recommended in other threads. And yes, there was black dust in the old one which may have caused some arcing/voltage irregularities. Interestingly enough there was a brand new LR brake light switch in the glove box. I wonder why? :confused:
Unfortunately, No luck, All the faults, including the ********* "F" gear indicator, with inability to shift, as well as the Christmas tree lights and lowered suspension were still there.

I've got one idea which I would like to run past all of you. I talked the dealer into replacing the tires on the truck before I bought it. The only thing is - the tire height was 65...They seemed concerned about not having 55's(?) in stock, but their tech made sure the higher tires 255/65/18's would not rub, and then sent me on my merry way...I just have to wonder if the height sensors are confused with the added inch, or so, of height and causing all the crazy errors to occur. So far all my other efforts have shown little to no results.

I understand from my research on this forum that the more faults that appear at once are generally a better sign of a smaller problem than just having one specific fault appear. That sounds promising to me, but I've run out of lower cost options. What do you all think about my tire height theory? Any thoughts on other things to troubleshoot?

(Edit) BTW, I tried a hard reset (as per instructions found on this forum) with no luck. I also unlpugged the tail light lenses to see if it was a bulb problem, but there were no changes. BTW, all bulbs appear to work fine, and filaments (the ones I can see) are in the vertical position.

Last edited:

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No way in the world will a larger tire's size cause any tranny issues.

Alex05LR3

Reaction score
No way in the world will a larger tire's size cause any tranny issues.

Ok...Roger that. However, I never would have dreamed that a non-OEM tail light bulb could cause the vehicle to become undrivable due to a lowered suspension and multiple-system fault messages either. Yet that seems to be a common consensus on this forum.

Do you think that the higher tire height could cause the wheel height sensors to perceive that there is a problem, therefore triggering other faults which also result in the transmission not shifting from "F" and an "all special programs not available" error message as well? Thanks in advance for your input...

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not the tires. A lot of us (including me) run larger tires all the time; it doesn't cause an issue as long as they are all the same size.

I would take it to a dealer. They should be able to figure out the issue. If I had to guess I'd take a look at the Transfer Case Control Module, any control module the tranny has and the rear differential if it's a locker.

Alex05LR3

Reaction score
Thanks Houm_WA...I appreciate your reply. Yes, an LR dealer service visit is very close to being a necessity. I just thought I'd try to troubleshoot to the best of my ability before admitting defeat :mad:.

Another tidbit of info for all the symptoms I included in the first post, is that I have the driver's side floor leak wetness/dampness issue after the truck has been sitting in the rain for awhile. It appears to be because of water leaking in from the left side A pillar. It seems the 05 LR3's had issues with this also? Doesn't appear to be a sunroof leak at all.
I'm wondering if the dampness/wetness caused some sort of short somewhere causing all the faults to appear all at once.:albertein?

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're welcome, Alex. It still could be a sunroof (drain) issue. I don't know of any wiring harnesses that run down the driver's side, but if that side is damp, it's possible that the other side got wet at some point as well. The things I mention above (TCCM and locking rear diff) are from personal experience; I also have a 2005....bought it brand new, so I've seen it all!

no-pistons

Reaction score
What is the fault code that is given?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't buy one from the dealer,buy a new one, not rebuilt from them.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're welcome, Alex. It still could be a sunroof (drain) issue. I don't know of any wiring harnesses that run down the driver's side, but if that side is damp, it's possible that the other side got wet at some point as well. The things I mention above (TCCM and locking rear diff) are from personal experience; I also have a 2005....bought it brand new, so I've seen it all!

My 07 has a bunch of wiring and such under the dash on the A-pillar. This is where the LLAms interface plugs in.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635