Can Tire Height Cause Transmission Fault?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...a non-OEM tail light bulb could cause the vehicle to become undrivable due to a lowered suspension and multiple-system fault messages either. Yet that seems to be a common consensus on this forum.

In a word, WHAT, are you talking about? You can put whatever proper size/spec bulb you like in a tail lamp. I've replaced several of mine.

Hmm, maybe that's why the rear differential failed this year though....dang it!

2beFree

Reaction score
In a word, WHAT, are you talking about? You can put whatever proper size/spec bulb you like in a tail lamp. I've replaced several of mine.

Hmm, maybe that's why the rear differential failed this year though....dang it!

Alex05LR3 is quite correct. a non-OEM incadescent bulb will stop 3 tons in its tracks. You can however replace the bulbs with LED proper specced bulbs

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alex05LR3 is quite correct. a non-OEM incadescent bulb will stop 3 tons in its tracks. You can however replace the bulbs with LED proper specced bulbs

Do not know what you mean by "OEM" then. The bulbs working just fine in the tail lamps of my lr3 were not purchased on a land rover supply source. They have very specific numbers like 25/5 etc but these go in other cars too.

I think different companies make bulbs that all work.

I am going to follow up with my long time tech at a private shop who should be able to clear this up for both of us. I'll post later. I'll be surprised if you are right and I've just accidentally always put in the correct/required lamps ;)

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been posting on these forums for about 9 years now, so I know full well what Alex and 2befree are saying...but they are not quite correct. I'm going to side with JWest on this one.

While it's true that some folks have had issues using various replacement bulbs, individual results vary. I have never bought tail lamps at LR and have simply purchased the counterpart generic bulb at my local auto parts store, of course ensuring that it passed the eye-ball test and that it was installed with the correct orientation (i.e., vertical filaments).

So if in doubt, certainly go buy your bulbs at the LR Service Department, but to come on this forum and make definitive statements like "a non-OEM incadescent bulb will stop 3 tons in its tracks" is not legit....replace the word "will" with "could" or "can" and I'd be okay with it.

It's a technical forum, so I'm being technical on the prose, too.

2beFree

Reaction score
I have been posting on these forums for about 9 years now, so I know full well what Alex and 2befree are saying...but they are not quite correct. I'm going to side with JWest on this one.

While it's true that some folks have had issues using various replacement bulbs, individual results vary. I have never bought tail lamps at LR and have simply purchased the counterpart generic bulb at my local auto parts store, of course ensuring that it passed the eye-ball test and that it was installed with the correct orientation (i.e., vertical filaments).

So if in doubt, certainly go buy your bulbs at the LR Service Department, but to come on this forum and make definitive statements like "a non-OEM incadescent bulb will stop 3 tons in its tracks" is not legit....replace the word "will" with "could" or "can" and I'd be okay with it.

It's a technical forum, so I'm being technical on the prose, too.

Houm_WA I would gladly replace "will" with any other word have I not had experience with non-OEM bulbs.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay but you are ONE datapoint, which is what I'm driving at. I have had my own positive experiences with non-OEM bulbs, so how do you account for that?

I can provide the brand and product # of it's of interest to the forum.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Houm_WA I would gladly replace "will" with any other word have I not had experience with non-OEM bulbs.

Maybe it's not about "oem" and more about the wrong spec bulbs. I'd have to see exactly what was done to even believe it. There are many other factors more likely to be the culprit.

Alex05LR3

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who commented. I finally got it back from the LR dealer last week. They kept it for about a week trying to sort through the faults and bring everything back on line. It appears that the TCCM was somewhat dirty/corroded which they were able to clean and eliminate as a potential problem. They replaced the drain tubes coming down the A pillars, as they said they had shrunk and water was draining into the car. After allowing the carpet/insulation to dry, they finally replaced the terrain selection module (not sure what it is called). So far so good. No faults at all for a week now. Runs like a champ, and looks so much better raised up to standard ride height instead of lowered to the stops. Fingers crossed that it will stay that way! Thanks again for the support. I learned a lot about this vehicle in a short amount of time.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635