cant get diff lock to shift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

widepud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hello im new here and just recently bought a 96 discovory with 171000 miles on it. i have followed the instructions as to how to shift it but it is absolutly stuck in unlocked high range. what would be the best way to go about fixing this problem. ive tryed shifting it just sitting in nuetral as well as rolling in neutral but i cant seem to get it to even come out of high range let alone try to get it into low or locked high. any help would be grweatly appreciated. thanks

widepud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thank you that was very informative. i will be trying this in the near future ill let you know how it goes but thank you very much for your help
erik

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thank you that was very informative. i will be trying this in the near future ill let you know how it goes but thank you very much for your help
erik

I just did the long version on my '97 (10 hrs),

Knowing what I know now, I'd pump about 3 oil cans (oilers, not quart cans) of very light weight oil down the cdl shaft between the 2nd foam boot & the lowest rubber boot (#41 in picture) You want to fill that lower rectangular well with oil, the factory uses grease which dries out, the oil should eventually work through the corrosion.

The oilcan nozzle is between the shaft & boot

pop the top boot off 1st & you'll see the foam underneath.

My linkage was so locked up, I thought it was fake & most of the labor was getting the lateral sliding cdl shaft to start moving.

It moves around like new, the only problem is the lock won't engage in the transfer case, so that's another project.

I'd oil it & try it after a couple of days, then daily until it frees up (get underneath & soak the linkage too tho'

luck, greg

garee

Reaction score
Hi , I am helping out my nephew who recently purchased a 1995 Land Rover Discover.

When he first received the vehicle, everything seemed to be fine with the exception that the speedometer did not work.which I understand is why we have a 68 on the fauly code indicator. We took it on the highway and there was no apparent trouble. But it seems now that after perhaps he shifted the transfer case the next day ,that even though the lever moves from high to low and to the lock position, that it remains in low gear, when shifted to high, which prevents him from going over apox 35-40 mph before the rpms max and a governor must kick in, to prevent the engine from damage.

I have tried to shift it while moving according to the advice given in other posts and according to the manual but even though it does move, and can achieve neutral it seems to remain in low gear when shifted to high ?????.

Some vehicles are affected by the road speed sensor(VSS) in this way but it does not seem to be the case with a Land Rove,at least from what I have read so far. THANKS

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi , I am helping out my nephew who recently purchased a 1995 Land Rover Discover.

When he first received the vehicle, everything seemed to be fine with the exception that the speedometer did not work.which I understand is why we have a 68 on the fauly code indicator. We took it on the highway and there was no apparent trouble. But it seems now that after perhaps he shifted the transfer case the next day ,that even though the lever moves from high to low and to the lock position, that it remains in low gear, when shifted to high, which prevents him from going over apox 35-40 mph before the rpms max and a governor must kick in, to prevent the engine from damage.

I have tried to shift it while moving according to the advice given in other posts and according to the manual but even though it does move, and can achieve neutral it seems to remain in low gear when shifted to high ?????.

Some vehicles are affected by the road speed sensor(VSS) in this way but it does not seem to be the case with a Land Rove,at least from what I have read so far. THANKS

Ouch --- My guess is a pin may have broken or seperated on the linkage. the lever may move but the transfer case doesn't shift.
Worse, the testoserone took over, and he broke the linkage under the shifter (still repairable)

It's common on these to freeze up from lack of use, and there's a procedure to free them but patience and some mechanical skill comes in to play.

I wouldn't drive any distance over 25 mph in low.
(maybe to the nearest decent mechanic.) If you get lucky, you might be able to repair from below, as linkage is visable

But it's pretty tight in that area & the console may have to come out. I've done my '97

(all day job for hobby mechanic w/ good tools)

wait for more input, maybe.

luck,greg

Last edited:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
speedometer is probably the VSS

Low range is probably too much push and pull... as stated above could be bent or broken.

You have tried to shift while moving correct. low range about 5 mph on flat ground, shift trans to neutral, then shift from low to high, then trans back into gear all while still moving.

widepud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got that fixed this weekend. tore the center console out and alot of penatrating oil and a little flame action and its all better. thanks for all the helpfull advice

garee

Reaction score
Hi ,Thanks guys,

Seems the shifter moves ok and when I shift it forward ,towards low I hear a wining sound which appears like a warning, is that an audio for perhaps it is not in gear yet ? As far a removing the console, did you mean,access on the top by unriviting the transfer case plate and the transmission shifter plate ?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72