cant get diff lock to shift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

garee

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what determines when the transmission shifts.... ,vacuum , vss sensor?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
ECU If I Recall Correctly.

garee

Reaction score
ECU If I Recall Correctly.

Hi Joey ,thanks

Do you know if a vss is an input to the ECU that determines which gear the transmission should be in .When my Nephew purchaced the vehicle the spedometer was not working and the vehicle was able to travel on the highway, but now it seems like the two speed differencial is in low gear, even though the position for the shaft that determines low or high, is all the way in towards the back of the vehicle?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
VSS does have an input to the ECU, but does not determine what gear you should be in.

If it shifts but does not want to go over 30+ mph, then you are in Low Range. The linkage may have came loose or need adjusted.

garee

Reaction score
VSS does have an input to the ECU, but does not determine what gear you should be in.

If it shifts but does not want to go over 30+ mph, then you are in Low Range. The linkage may have came loose or need adjusted.

Again thanks for your patients,

I have removed the shifter linkage going to the, what I would call cross shaft linkage, running from left to right when sitting in the drivers seat, which has a lever on it and removed the six bolts from that unit that shifts the notched shaft going into the high, low transfer case, it seems the notched shaft is all the way towards the back of the vehicle and it would seem to be in high ??

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
The Transfer case lever (moves forward and backward and on a D1 Left and Right).

When all the way back it is in High range.

Does is feel like it is shifting? If it shifts but does not go fast then it is in low range, if it isn't shifting then you have another issue.

dragonsrest

Reaction score
I've had my 98 DTI for two weeks now and initially had the same problem, however it is now fixed.
You will need patience and very gentle persuasion of the linkages from above and below.
Firstly you'll need to remove the centre console to get to the top of the shift lever easily.
You can then undo the lock link to check for lateral (side to side) movement of the shift lever. On mine this was fine but the linkage was stuck, so plenty of WD40 and the gentle persuasion from underneath the car got this working.
THis now left me with freeeing off the H/L range linkage. This involved WD40 again and a socket on top of the transfer case (leave the linkage disconnected from the lever for this) to gently work the lever back and forth until it was moving freely.

Put everything back together and it's now working.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99