Can't get into Extended mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I put the suspension into extended mode to jack up the vehicle and do the rear brakes. All was fine and then today I tried to put it in extended mode and the button press doesn't register or it isn't accepted. There are no indicator lights on, the suspension goes into off-road mode but no higher. I'm a bit worried because I won't be able to jack up the SUV with the factory jack since the suspension seems to work against raising the tire. Any ideas on what the problem could be or how to get the SUV jacked up without extended mode?

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only way to get into extended mode is to trick the vehicle into thinking it’s high centered.

If you put a jack stand under the frame rail, and hit lower in the air suspension it should sense that. Careful doing this.

Then in extended mode, you can go into super extended mode which involves pressing your foot on the brake, and then hitting the raise suspension button again.

By the way the factory jack is crap. I’d get a bottle jack or something similar for off road tire changes.

Last edited:

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've found the factory jack to be quite satisfactory, especially since it has positive engagement in the frame thanks to the central dowel going into holes in the frame rail. The footprint is small if you're on loose ground, but the same can be said for a lot of bottle jacks. The biggest issue is really the amount of droop that the LR4 has, you have to get it really high before the wheels lift off the ground, especially the rear. There are tricks you can play with a small bottle jack under the control arms - there are dimples that secure the jack tip, and that will get the wheel off the ground faster. I carry a patch kit, along with the factory jack. Someday I might upgrade to a bottle jack, especially since it seems the T44 sliders block the holes on the frame that the jack would engage.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a 2X6 wood board and plan to cut it into pieces for stackable blocks to put under the factory jack. If there is enough lift then I can defeat the air suspension and raise a tire (hopefully) using the blocks for extra lift.

I'll be using that as a fall back, I have an appointment this week to get the suspension checked out. I have a feeling its a bad front right shock. While off road I heard it make a noise a few times like when stopped and taking off. When there was weight transfer it made it sound like it was stuck and then let go.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't need extra blocks to get the wheels off the ground with the factory jack, you just need to keep cranking it. The block is just to keep it from sinking into the ground.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A smaller bottle jack under the lower control arm looks like a much more expedient way of lifting just one wheel off the ground without dealing with droop.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't need extra blocks to get the wheels off the ground with the factory jack, you just need to keep cranking it. The block is just to keep it from sinking into the ground.
Do you mean while out of extended mode the factory jack will lift high enough? What I was seeing was the air suspension starts bleeding while I start jacking and seems like it is fighting against what I'm trying to do. I'm pretty sure I've wasted effort jacking that thing only to not get the wheel off the ground. I'm tempted to go try it but its in the shop getting the ball joint boot fixed.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Droop is droop, you can lift a wheel off the ground in any suspension mode, but starting with the suspension in off-road or extended height means you're not lifting a load as far, but that's it. Just keep cranking and you'll get there.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635