Carrying a Canoe - Roof of LR3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, trying to figure out the best way to carry a 17ft Grumman aluminum canoe on my 2008 LR3. I've got them side-by-side and I don't like where the cross bars are to the balance point of the canoe and the positioning of the gunwale cushion pads.
Suggestions? I can't move the forward cross bar further towards the front - my rails are the shorter version. I don't want to hang it off the back of my LR3 too far and have the tie down strap for the bow rubbing on the front and hood.
I suppose I could get a UHaul trailer and have it stick off the back a bit.....

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 15' aluminum Grumman and I know what you're talking about. You really cannot put it upside down on the factory racks, which do not spread far enough apart. You'll end up hitting the front of your roof with the canoe which curves up (down when turned over).

I would recommend a bed extender! It's square tubing that can be configured in a low setting (to provide support to extend your cargo bed out 5' or so, for supporting long cargo) or for boats, it has a high setting. This basically comes out of your hitch, goes straight up, and provides support at a height you can adjust to match your racks! Works great.

I'm not home at the moment, so can't get the actual product name off the sticker. I've had it well before the LR3 and have used it on multiple vehicles for this purpose.

I looked on my phone and I only have one picture which partially shows the rack, but you'll see what I mean, hopefully.

In this picture I have the canoe right-side up, as it was a short portage and I can put it on myself this way. If I put it on upside-down, it still takes someone else to help me to avoid scratching the car. That's still tricky as the front rack crossbar does not go as far forward as I'd like.

FullSizeRender31-vi.jpg

Yes, I could have that rear support bar a little higher in this instance. I had just loosened the straps as it was bowing the canoe when I had it tied down solid. In the end, it was fine as the main assistance is using the rear cross piece as a slide bar to get the canoe on the roof by myself. Once it's up there, its okay tied down to the factory rack.

In any case, the canoe straps down pretty solid. I can't budge it.

Last edited:

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, when I turned it upside-down for portage, I put foam on the canoe rails where it could hit the roof.

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The canoe is coming from my parents - inheriting due to forced downsizing of their home. I have the foam blocks and am used to carrying it on the roof of, granted, my Chevy Tahoe. The positioning of the LR3 rails and crossbars doesn't lend itself well to this.
I like the trailer hitch bed extender but that only gives me another foot or so and I still run the risk of any ******** the bow rubbing on the hood due to the length.
I think I'm going to build a 2x4 short extension to add to the forward crossbar to support the canoe. I'll run straps across the hull to the crossbars, foam padding on the crossbars, and a tight line from the ends of the canoe to brush bar and trailer hitch. The 2x4 extension is just to provide support for the additional length over the front seating area and roof of the LR3. I'll secure the 2x4s front to back on the crossbars with a cross brace on the unsupported end.
The next trick will be to transport a 25ft rowing shell (one man shell). I may have to get a trailer for that!

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are also some nicer aftermarket roof racks for the LR3 which go the full length. If you are going to be transporting long things regularly, that may be a good investment for you.

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I plan to take this from NJ to MA and then not worry about it - no more schlepping.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72