Catalytic Converters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FrankWhite

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a place to get reasonable inexpensive cats for a 97 Disco? I'm trying to avoid the dealership and my local muffler shop is quoting me $500 for universal ones. There must be some cheaper ones out there. Thanks in advance

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
You can buy a universal one from Summit racing, just makes sure it is small enough to fit.

I forget the part number off the top of my head...

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a place to get reasonable inexpensive cats for a 97 Disco? I'm trying to avoid the dealership and my local muffler shop is quoting me $500 for universal ones. There must be some cheaper ones out there. Thanks in advance

I have a couple of good used ones that you can have at a reasonable price (i.e., they were in my 97 disco SE7 until I had my custom headers installed and, lo and behold, we had no room left for the cats - go figure???? Anyway, they are clear and clean and if you have a price in mind that won't break your bank - I'll send them your way via your choice of delivery (USPS, UPS or FedEx).

matts98disco

Reaction score
Honestly, eliminate the cat. I am sure a few of you may not agree with me, but I am doing away with mine. Fuel savings and added power are just a few reasons, as well as lower part replacement. Simply cut the flanges from your existing cat, weld them onto a 2.5" or 3" strait pipe, get a **** for the 02 sensor, weld it up, and enjoy a "test pipe" for under $100, and added power. Any local exhaust shop (depending on where you live) will do it for you "under the table". Hell, then cash in the cat for $75 to $100. You win either way!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
No extra fuel economy or power with out the cat, but your welcome to do it either way.

matts98disco

Reaction score
If you dont mind me asking, how does eliminating a large restriction in the exhaust system not allow more power through reduced backpressure? I am a big time drag racer, and I have to say, I have noticed upto 2-3 tenths shaved of ETs VIA cat removal.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Your talking an underpowered 4200lbs vehicle that will require regearing and ECU work to make any performance increases work well.

matts98disco

Reaction score
Yeah, I do suppose you have me there. But to be honest with you, I am a big time performance freak, and I honestly dont feel like my Disco is super slow by any means. It actualy runs extremely well given its boxy shape and heft.

MagnaflowRep

Reaction score

Have you checked our website at www.car-sound.com We might have one for your vehicle if you arent in California. Just search the drop down windows. The price that reflects on our website is MSRP and you can find better pricing thru one of the vendors here.

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: cat removal on Disco 4.00 liter

Joey is right - cat removal will not make one shred of difference; it should but it does not - at least with these engines as the ECU is absolutely ferocious in how it will tamp that down. Only one thing you can do and that is to chip.

One thing I would really consider though - to make MPG gains - and that would be moving to a much lighter mags or steel wheels over the standard OME LR mags which have to be one of the heaviest on the road. As a brake and suspension expert I know - recently told me - he thought the LR mags were brutes that placed too much unsprung weight right at the wheels and that better handling, braking and MPG would result from some lighter steel wheels or mags. So, I have been giving this some serious thought.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink