Catastrophic Trans Fail

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Monday night, 9 PM, 28K miles. Sitting at a red light, light turns green. I hit gas the and go nowhere. After an assortment of terrible noises and multiple messages on the display stating that special programs is no longer available, Im stuck at a major intersection. I have no gear, manual or auto, no park and only clunking noises as i slowly raise the RPM's. Almost the same sounds as when I twisted the input shaft on my Bel Air. Called LR and they had a tow out there in about an hour. Dealer had the car today and has no answer, furthermore, no more loaners. I complained, they said I could possibly get a loaner tomorrow from Enterprise. Looking for a little feedback, happen to anyone else? What was the result?

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That link was exactly what happened to me. And yes, it was LRWC. Usually I get much better service, today they were apparently really busy to its their one get out of jail free day. Ill post the updates tomorrow.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ouch. That sucks.

On the upside, you're in warranty! Haven't heard anyone else report that kind of failure (here) so I guess the good thing is that is pretty rare.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doubt it's the same thing, but on my old RR the transmission flex plate broke and left me with no gears - OUT of warranty. Was there by chance a loud clunk when you tried to start up?

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was there by chance a loud clunk when you tried to start up?

nah, I never really shut it down until I pulled to a safe area and tried to reset the computer. Mostly just some clanking when I tried to accelerate after the incident. Ill be finding out everything tomorrow. Ill surely post the results.

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the word today that it is indeed the Trans control module. They said may be a day or two until the part comes in. Cant imagine what that would have cost. I am a little dissapointed in that I still do not have a rental. The dealer told me they were all out and Enterprise had none to offer. I guess its my fault for not raising enough hell about it. Since Monday night without a vehicle and no rental...even my Tahoe's gave loaner's for any warranty work. I also have them checking out the steering knock, sunroof shade latch and faded hood lettering. Ill keep updating the progress.

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cars go out as loaners, they come back. They could have decency to hold one that returns and call you!

bgsntth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When all the loaners are out at my dealer, it usually does not take too much cajoling to get them to let me take something from the pre-owned fleet. As in your case, with your truck being out of service for multiple days, I do not think this is out-of-line.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99