cdl stuck, lever spring broken

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K

krazz1e

Ok, after hours of research I was ready to tackle my frozen CDL lever. First, I took the dash out and drench the hell out of it. Let it sit for a full day, and sprayed some more. Lever would not budge from left to right (works high to low, smoothly). I start trying the force technique as described on http://home.twcny.rr.com/eeibooks/rover/discodifflock.htm . Not working, do not want to bend bar.

Next step I do is remove the entire housing to lub it up real good. Goes smooth as it's removed, I test the CDL lever, I can engage is with a bar and minor force pretty easily. So I think perhaps it's my shift lever. I lube it up and put it back in, it moves from left to right freely without the HIGH & LOW lever attach. As soon as I attach the High and Low Lever its frozen solid, cannot even budge it.

I take the lever out again to inspect it and as I am trying to figure out how this thing works from left to right, logically all I can figure out is that the bar actually should move from left to right with the shifter. So, I take a hammer and bang it a couple time to see if it free's up... put it back in and still rock solid once the high and low is attach.

At this point I am doing the good old, be patient work it left to right, spray.... eventually I work it to hard and bust the spring in the lever. It still works from high to low, but now it freely moves left to right but does nothing.

So even though I am not in a worst position then I was in a day before, I feel like I have failed.

Couple questions I hope someone can answer:

1) How does the lever actually work shifting from left to right to engage/disengage CDL?

2) Can I replace just the spring part of the shift lever?

3) Who should I contact for a complete replacement lever?

Thanks, sorry for the long post.

'96 Disco

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge