Changing Fuel Filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any tricks for loosening and removing the fuel filter?

Been meaning to do this for about 6 months and I think it is getting plugged up.

97 Disco
SE 7
96k miles

Thanks

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Spray it down heavy with Break free about 3 times a day for 3 days before you start the work, or you will be replacing more than just the filter.

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Roger that. I started trying to loosen with two spanners and when nothing budged I came here.

I'll spray it down every night and try it on Wednesday.

Thanks Joey,

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
97 Disco
SE7
97k miles

This bugger is a real pain. Got the rear connection loose but can't get the front to budge. The penetrating oil helped but front fitting is still stuck.

I bought the "kit" when I ordered the filter and it came with new hose sections and fittings. The rubber hose ends have standard hose clamps for the ends opposite of the filter. So I am assuiming that it would not be unheard of to use a metal tubing cutter to surgically remove the filter by cutting the metal fuel line and then attaching the new fuel filter using the standard hose clamps.

Will doing this cause major additional headaches? Unless there is a secret for losening the front fitting other than Joey's suggestion I am considering using the tubing cutter?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Also will be submitting a separate post which may be related to the fuel filter.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Tube cutter is fine, just make sure you clean up as much fuel as you can, and have a fire retardant agent near by.

My front one would not break loose either, I actually turned the filter to remove mine off of the front connection.

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of that! How did you reconnect the new hose? Regular hose clamp?

Thanks for the advice. Maybe the new filter and fuel temp sensor will do the trick.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
yep, regular hose clamps.

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the temp sensor arrives I will change both. I'll let you know how the filter change goes.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo