Cheapest way to replace lost key fob?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stmcknig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess there may be different kinds of "******" out there....I would have suspected my dealer was lying to me (shock horror!) but I also tried the key pairing with a "******" key I got from eBay using the dealer SDD software and it baulked. Once I got the key from the UK, as I said, pairing it took but minutes.

The last research I did suggested that if you were rich enough you could buy a key cloner which read the values out of your working key and transferred them (again one time only deal) to your "blank" key. This would mean your LR would see both keys as the same so it would probably mess with any seat memory settings (but I don't have those luxury items) - I believe that’s also something that can be done for other RFID car keys. The cost of the machine however is more than paying for the real one so I passed on that science experiment....

I'd just advise that if you get a "new" key from any source other than your friendly neighbourhood franchised LR dealer that you get a refund option in writing if you're laying out a significant chunk of change. Also read the small print on some "bargains" as they are selling just the key outer shell and you are supposed to transplant your inner PCB and shank etc over. Those LR keys are quite a job to get into without by the way ;-)

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
During my own dead-FOB episode, I purchased a "******" FOB with NO SHANK from BP Utah,

I remember when BPUtah used to sell new fobs, sans key blade. They don't seem to sell them anymore.

One good thing about newer Land Rovers (LR4) with keyless ignition, is that a used fob can be reprogrammed for your vehicle using IIDTool or equivalent. Not so with LR3 fobs, unfortunately.

Last edited:

stmcknig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One good thing about newer Land Rovers (LR4) with keyless ignition, is that a used fob can be reprogrammed for your vehicle using IIDTool or equivalent. Not so with LR3 fobs, unfortunately.

There is some debate on disco3*co*uk at the moment along with warnings from UK Police about newer "keyless" Land Rovers being stolen by having a new key added to the system via the OBD using "tools". BBS have released a product for these vehicles which apparently "hides" the relevant key ECU so preventing a new key from being added to provide some level of protection.

Here's the full thread if you are interested (and have a non LR3!)

http://www.disco3*co*uk/forum/topic119397.html

** Have I recently said how annoying and stupid this URL blocking is ?

Sogs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is one of my biggest complaints with basically all new cars. +400$$$$ for a *&*% key is absolutely absurd.

On my keys, my battery eventually broke the soldered contact to the board, I bought a$15 replacement, swapped out the board and key, and soldered the battery back on.

stmcknig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree that having a sealed unit means when the battery eventually reaches end of charge life, that gets expensive. At least my "other" car has an easily replaced CR032 battery in the fob ;-)

Codename Duchess

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife just put my LR3 key fob through the wash.

I couldn't figure out why it was full of water! Anyway, she fessed up and now I'm about to find out if I can clean it and fix it :p

I know they're supposed to be waterproof but mine had a hole in the button.

trickblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been there done that on my last LR3... you have to pay the piper. My local LR Dealer felt so bad about the cost, they waived the local programming charge...

Mine wore through and quit working. That being said, you can go on eBay and buy one of these for less than $10: Amazon.com: lr3 key cover@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41hGTU4VNsL.@@AMEPARAM@@41hGTU4VNsL

It doesn't stop loss, but it DOES stop you from wearing through the membrane on your current key. I took my LR3 in for some maintenance work last week and they asked me where I got it as they see a lot of problems with them wearing through....

The "replacement" fobs require you changing out the insides of your working fob and putting them in a new one...

Also... if you have two fobs I recommend you alternate them every few months. The key fob charges in the ignition. If you go too many months without using your alternate fob, it will no longer charge or work for wirelessly opening the door. I'm going through that right now...

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aaaanddd that would be me :) I found maybe the Gandalf of locksmiths who was able to cut me a new key from a blank with what I think he called a sidewinder machine. He laughed at the idea that the only people who could cut it were LR.

UNFORTUNATELY, it was an in vain experiment (although I still have the physical key here on my desk) as the only way I know of to get a working RFID fob is to buy it through your dealer from LR in the UK. I tried a couple of eBay "unused" fobs and even my dealer couldn't pair them. Fortunately I was able to get a refund from the eBay seller.

AFAIK, all the keys come from LR in the UK. They use the VIN to first of all CNC machine your key based on the data they have. Then they "seed" the RFID chip in the blank fob with a value which your vehicle will read and validate when it is "paired". This is why the eBay ones don't work I believe. It's a bit like trying to pair a Bluetooth device if you don't have the pairing code, it ain't going to happen.

So long story short, I had to pay about $250 for the key from my LR dealer which shipped from the UK in about ten days. I was able to "pair" it to my LR3 myself using Nanocom/IID tool which saved me another $110 from my local dealer service department. It took all of about five minutes to do including making a cup of tea. The dealer claims their laptop diagnostics boot so slowly that it means they have to charge a one hour minimum. Right.

So sadly I can only suggest you don't waste time with eBay or China clones but find the cheapest LR dealer price for the key and maybe ask if someone in your locale has a Nanocom Evolution (not VIN locked) to pair the key for you once you get it.

Feel free to PM if you want more gory details ;-)

And-- The company was disreputable. While that vain experiment was going on, I ordered the key in anticipation of success. When it failed, I asked to return the unused key. I did, refund never came, I contacted them again, claimed they did not receive it. I provided proof of delivery and a signature, they claimed it must be lost.... needless to say, I never got a refund after a re-request every few months since 7/23/2012... A VERY disreputable company. The city should be A-Hole not Pinole. I wish a member was near there to drop in and have a chat with them.

Be warned..
Stuart
Remote's Inc.
1564 Fitzgerald Drive - Unit #118
Pinole, CA

Furthermore-- this scheme will never work, so order from Land Rover Merriam Parts for best price and be done with it.

hell pie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try opening the fob and letting everything dry out thoroughly. Then use a cotton swab and alcohol to give everything a good cleaning. Dry again and then see if the fob works.

cmb6s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Luckily, I have yet to put my LR3 remote through the wash, but my procedure for drying anything electronic out involves:
1. Remove battery if you are able (obviously not in this case)
2. Rinse with as pure of rubbing alcohol as you have
3. Wipe it off/shake it out, etc.
4. Place item in a bin of rice for 48 hours and let the rice absorb the residual moisture
5. Hit it with a hair dryer for a few minutes

Usually works quite well.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM