Check brake pads error

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bostonian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
06 LR3 108k miles. The check brake pad warning started randomly popping on about a week ago. Some days I drive it and doesn't come on, other times it'll beep/display literally 30 times during a 15 minute ride, going away after each beep. Sometimes it is only the display that says 'check brake pads', sometimes it's the display plus the amber 'brake' light just above the display. Sometimes the amber light is solid, sometimes it weakly flickers on and off.

To me this seems like an electrical fault more than a brakes needing replacing issue. I replaced my battery in December. FYI my indie told me last June I could probably wait a year before replacing the rears. Is this a brake switch issue? Any ideas?

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm.....last June. That was 7 months ago and he ESTIMATED a year.

Here is my idea: Get your brakes checked.

jaamrode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guess is the sensor wire is right on the ragged edge of being triggered. So sometimes it's got contact and sometimes not.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can check the pads and sensor/wire in one fell swoop.

Trynian

Reaction score
06 LR3 108k miles. The check brake pad warning started randomly popping on about a week ago. Some days I drive it and doesn't come on, other times it'll beep/display literally 30 times during a 15 minute ride, going away after each beep. Sometimes it is only the display that says 'check brake pads', sometimes it's the display plus the amber 'brake' light just above the display. Sometimes the amber light is solid, sometimes it weakly flickers on and off.

To me this seems like an electrical fault more than a brakes needing replacing issue. I replaced my battery in December. FYI my indie told me last June I could probably wait a year before replacing the rears. Is this a brake switch issue? Any ideas?

I had this and it turned out to be a short in the fuel pump grounding wire. I was at about the same mileage on my 06.

The short was actually at the main plug between the interior wiring harness and the main wiring harness down by the rear driver rear wheel where the those two plugs are (or 3 if you have a locking diff). I recall it was the black plug but would have to look at the wiring diagram again to be sure.

I disconnected the plugs and cleaned the contacts for that lead and made sure the plugs were well seated and the issue has been gone now for two years.

It was along process to finally find that so don't ask how I found it as I could not remember all the steps that finally lead me there. It was going on for months but i did start by cutting the ends off my ware sensors and connecting the two leads together to rule out any sensor issues.

Last edited:

Globetrotter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When changing pads it is recommended that you change both sensor wires. Cost for two (front and rear) is around $15. Cheap problem insurance

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM