cleaning o2 sensors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jastutte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey again,

i vaguely remember reading on this forum that their is a way to clean the o2 sensors on the D1s. is this true? and if so, how? my truck is a 96 discovery.

thanks,

jeremiah

tempestv8

Reaction score
I don't believe there is a way of cleaning the O2 sensors. Just get them replaced, and stick to the genuine part. I've tried aftermarket ones and they aren't any good, throwing fault ECU codes.

If you are planning on replacing the O2 sensors yourself, handle the new parts carefully because O2 sensors that are dropped become faulty.

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The trouble is - the genuine O2 sensors are seriously over-priced; personally, I would check out NTK - they seem to work very well.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back to your question, no, they can not be cleaned and are not replace because they are dirty, but because they loose their effective range of adjustment to felt the ECU set a proper air/fuel ratio.
How many miles on your truck?

jastutte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the truck has around 152,000 miles. i don't know when the sensors were last replace since i bought it at 148,000 miles. right now running the ac full time and driving in town i'm getting 12-13 mpg. this is pretty much the same as what i was getting with no ac going. i was just curious about the o2 sensors because the exhaust smells pretty rich, relatively speaking. smells like the exhaust of my fuel injected 75 volkswagon bus that has no cat or o2 sensor. :bandit: while i hate smilies, my daughter wanted me to throw that one in.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
more than likely your injectors are on the way to being renewed i.e. either a rebuild or replacement....

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the truck has around 152,000 miles. i don't know when the sensors were last replace since i bought it at 148,000 miles. right now running the ac full time and driving in town i'm getting 12-13 mpg. this is pretty much the same as what i was getting with no ac going. i was just curious about the o2 sensors because the exhaust smells pretty rich, relatively speaking. smells like the exhaust of my fuel injected 75 volkswagon bus that has no cat or o2 sensor. :bandit: while i hate smilies, my daughter wanted me to throw that one in.

The 02's should be changed by 100,000 miles, most people don't cause they don't realize the benefit in doing so.
What octane gas is she burning, when was it last tuned, what color are her plug wires and does she have a check engine light on?????

jastutte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i run 93 octane 90% of time and occasionally 91 octane. did a tune up several months ago. seafoamed her in the tank, intake, and oil. new magnacore 8mm wires which helped mpg by 2. no check engine light. she runs great. rpms move a little at idle, like up and down, maybe, 25 or 50. also, since she is a 96 i did clean the maf with crc.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clean your t/body and IAC to help the idle, check for vacuum leaks, especially the 2 pcv hoses.
If still off, go for some 02's, you will be pleased with the difference.

jastutte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for the throttle body i just buy some throttle body cleaner and follow the directions on the can, right? what is the best way to clean the iac or is there link you can point me to?

thanks, mike and everyone else who responded to my questions,

jeremiah

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM