Click, Click, Click...Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MST

Reaction score
I have found similar posts to this but no definitive answers or diagnosis. I turn the key in the morning and get a click but no start. Radio and lights come on but no turnover. This happens as many as 5-6 times before it starts and when it does, it starts right away- no excessive drain. Sometimes it starts right away and after am start, no problem, so it is hard to replicate at the dealer.

From what I have read and just replacing a starter on my motorcycle, it seems the starter is the problem. Dealer quoted me around 800.00 for replacement.

Anyone have this figured out and if it is the starter, is that the going rate?:confused:

Mr.BigsLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replace the battery. Common issue if the charge on the battery is low.

C.

MST

Reaction score
I was hoping that was the case but I had the battery checked out at the dealer and it was still good.

MilehighLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was hoping that was the case but I had the battery checked out at the dealer and it was still good.

You could always try a local independent rather than the dealer . . .I know the shop rates are lower, can't tell you in the part market up is or is not. Another option is possibly looking at British Pacific or Atlantic British (I think that's right). . . both seem to have a really comprehensive selection of OE parts and a starter should be a pretty cut-and-dry install.

MST

Reaction score
I haven't been able to locate the part at Atlantic or Pacific but I was able to find the process which included taking off the wheel, disconnecting the neg cable from batt. and removing 2 or 3 bash plates. Not sure if I want to get into all that yet unless it can be done in a day. I just replaced the starter on my Motorcycle and that was a breeze compared to what the Rover job looks like.
Anyone have any experience with starter replacement?

MST

Reaction score
I take that back - I was able to locate a starter for 350.00 which after shipping will be about what LR quoted. Still not sure if I want to tackle the job without being sure that is the problem. I may have to leave it with the dealer overnight so they can replicate problem in the am.

dantheman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before you tackle the starter, I also strongly believe it's the battery. Have an indy shop (or O'reilly/autozone) check it. From the many years spent on this forum, I have yet to hear of a starter going bad on an LR3. These cars are very picky about voltage and starting amperage.

MST

Reaction score
I will give the battery another look and clean the cables and check connections - will follow up. Thanks!

kingfishgrapeja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've run across some posts on loose engine grounding cables. You may want to check into that after the battery and before replacing the starter. You could probably test it out by using a jumper cable to ground the engine at start up. Only a theory of course, haven't seen or done it first hand.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM