Clicking relay - no start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Piranhaboy

Reaction score
Hi again all. I'm hoping someone will have an idea on this situation. when I tried to start the engine a relay under the glove box of my 1998 Disco 4.0 began clicking rapidly and it wouldn't turn over at first but did after a few seconds but wouldn't start. I left the key in the ignition position to try and locate the sound. After a minute the clicking stopped and I tried it again and it worked. Later that day it started clicking again but this time wouldn't stop. Now the engine turns over sometimes and other times it doesn't. When it turns over however it won't start. I found the relay in a yellow box, removed the relay, took it apart and gave it a cleaning, and replaced it with no difference. I'm going through the RAVE manual over the past two days and can't find the relay to trace the circuit.

The battery is new. It's not the clicking that accompanies the starter with a weak battery. The clicking comes on when the key is in the second or ignition position, not in the third or starting position although it will stay on while cranking the engine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't care if the battery is new, they fail. You need to get the charging system checked, if it is not in the 13.6 to 14.4 volt range you have problems. So, go get your battery charged and then try and start, once started then find your low voltage problem.

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about the starter relay itself behind the passenger side kickplate? Could that fail?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9