Clutch adjustments on a Manual tranny...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

300zxtt2+2

Reaction score
On my '96 disco I have a situation that might be normal for LRD's but thought I would ask if it is 'fixable'.

My clutch engages with very little pedal travel and that makes 'slipping' the clutch a little tricky. It seams that from the time the pedal starts engaging the clutch till the time the clutch is fully engaged is only a matter of a couple of inches of pedal travel. Is that normal on Disco's? Can that be changed so you have more pedal travel to play with?

I was hoping the clutch could be more similar to the cluch on my car (hydrolic as well) where the clutch is in varying stages of engagement through about 3/4 of the entire pedal travel.

Does any of this make sense? I am in a conference call so might not be making sense. :creep:

Thanks
Shawn

300zxtt2+2

Reaction score
Any comments? Anyone?

I was hoping to atleast get something like...
"this is the way all LRD's are"

or maybe something like....
"weird problem, you must have too much gas in the tank" :albertein

ANY help would be appreciated. :confused:

Thx :smile:
Shawn

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Part of the problem with getting answers lies in the fact that there are so few manual Disco's in the US. I would find it hard to believe that there isn't an adjustment for the clutch though -- every "stick" car I've ever seen has an adjustable clutch...

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shawn we would be glad to help out, but most of us, as correctly Andy said, has A/T... :(

300zxtt2+2

Reaction score
Uzbad said:
Shawn we would be glad to help out, but most of us, as correctly Andy said, has A/T... :(

Thanks guys... I appreciate the comments. It helps me understand the lack of responses. :(

I'll keep looking.

Shawn

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clutch adjustment

Shawn, was this a 95 D1 that was sold in 96? In the US only 94-95 were sold with 5-speed, after were auto only. Less than 2% for two years in the US are sticks, the rest of the world is mostly stick. Rover made the clutch so you don't slip it, this prolongs clutch life. Far as the free play with the clutch between the pedal on the floor and engagement is only 2". If you machine a longer master cylinder plunger that closes the return port just after pedal movement you will get more free pedal. Between start and full engagement is short with pedal travel. It's alot less of a problem on my D1 after replacing the 3.9 with a 4.6. Rolling (California) stops is 2nd gear, 3rd down to 10 mph, 4th 15 mph, less shifting more pull. Carl..........................o&o>................

M

montanablur

Welcome to the wonderful world of the 5 speed... While there is some adjustment slipping the clutch is tough... And be careful who you let do the adjusting...

I didn't realize they were so rare... Lucky us I suppose...

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clutch adjustment????

montanblur, on the D1's there is no adjustments for the clutch. The ***** cylinder self adjusts as clutch plate wears as well as changing thermal conditions. Unless you change the mechanical advantage at the clutch pedal or the clutch arm your stuck with the "Limey Way". If there were different bore diameters for the master and ***** cylinders, (just thinking). Carl..o&o>..

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clutch adjustment ????

montanblur, on the D1's there is no adjustments for the clutch. The ***** cylinder self adjusts as clutch plate wears as well as changing thermal conditions. Unless you change the mechanical advantage at the clutch pedal or the clutch arm your stuck with the "Limey Way". If you make the plunger longer (from clutch lever to master cylinder) but not too long for fluid return port to be closed off you will gain more ***** travel. This would give you more free clearance for the disc. Your engagement with the pedal will be higher up from the floor. This is what i did to my 95 D1. If there were different bore diameters for the master and ***** cylinders to swap out, (just thinking). Carl......................................................o&o>..................................

M

montanablur

Hmmm... My mechanic must have changed, adjusted something mechanically at the pedal... while it wasn't a huge improvement it did allow the clutch to engage without pushing it to the floor.

How complicated was the process you went through?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72