Cold air intake...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

josh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about cold air intake for the 2008 LR3? I installed one on my 4Runner and loved it but traded that in for the LR3. I have only seen one model (Air Force One, sold through Rover Accessories, http://www.roveraccessories.com/airforce1.htm) that fits the LR3. Any thoughts on this?

I considered a snorkel but would likely have more benefit from the COI than a snorkel.

-JL

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive sold hundreds of cold air intakes in the past and have to say that the roveraccessories intake is downright horrible (of course just my opinion). on any other vehicle, you can usually benefit from an open element intake as long as you dont take it offroad.

any setup other than the factory LR3 style or a snorkel would possibly ruin the whole point of a closed box setup. LR designed the factory setup to maximize the wading depth and keep as much water out as possible as you trek through treacherous rivers and creek crossings.

to make a long post short, i would not recommend any setup like that. maybe try starting out with a replacement high flow filter. you could try Green Filter, Tru-Flow, Fram Air Hog, or maybe even K&N. some say K&N's wreak havoc on Ford sensors but that's debatable.

If anything, a snorkel would at least help force some of the air into the intake tract, unfortunately it will just slow back down through all the twists and turns on the way to the throttle body.

I would definitely be interested into a supercharger if anyone made on compatible. i would imagine integrating in the fuel the system would be a nightmare. An exhaust would offer the most as far as a bolt on increase, but they are few and far between as well.

good luck.

Randall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i've also struggled with the same battle of finding something that would help increase the power and throttle response in my LR3. me and my father installed a cold air intake and exaust on our Denali and the throttle response and low end torque were way better. i would be very interested if someone came out with a supercharger for the landy but i think it would be way to much work for the benefit. i'd be interested to see if someone ever puts the supercharged V8 from the Ranges in an LR3.

-Noah

JThiessen

Reaction score
As the first responder said - the Rover intakes are designed to be sealed for wading purposes. Face it, for most of us, the only wading you are going to see is from the mist thrown up by the car in front of you on the freeway! If you dont/wont wade with yours, start modifying your stock box. Drill large dia holes in the "unfiltered" side of the airbox. Another option is to completely remove the stock airbox, find some PVC pipe that will mate up with the stock intake, and make your own inlet tube, and attach your favorite aftermarket filter set up (guys that hop up their diesel pickups do this all the time). This summer, I may take a look at ours and see what I can do with it - it all depends on if the wife gets another job. Otherwise, ours (hers) will go up for sale.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...or you could just buy a sports car and be done with it.

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
me and my father installed a cold air intake and exaust on our Denali and the throttle response and low end torque were way better.

-Noah

good combination. an exhaust is usually the best bolt on if you want to feel any difference at all. too bad the few available for the LR3's are a small fortune and somewhat gaudy IMO. the truth is most COI's produce excellent mental horsepower. meaning the throaty sound and heavier foot make your vehicle feel much faster. a combo exhaust and intake work well, but usually only in combination. since the LR3 system is "closed" already i would be surprised to see a more efficient "cold" air system as opposed to a "warm engine bay air coming into my cone filter" system. we spent plenty of time proving this to our customers with true dyno testing to the wheels.

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I continue to be amazed at how people on here are so quick to tell you to not try things.

the first thing i hate with forums is when people are not helpful and just flat out mean. i dont think this is the case here. josh asked for opinions on the matter and thats what he got.

i havent been able to keep any of my cars stock for more than 5 minutes after i get them. but this is not a honda civic with a B18 engine swap. we are talking about a $50,000 vehicle that had some engineering time spent on it.

im a big fan of DIY and cheap mods. again, its your car. try whatever you want. forums are usually nothing but opinions. this forum is nothing but helpful and rarely judgemental. you wont find 15 year olds flaming you about your signature picture.

madtownrover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I continue to be amazed at how people on here are so quick to tell you to not try things.

Sorry you took it that way...just my opinion. Wasn't trying to tell anybody not to do something.

Personally, I don't believe most claims of improved performance with open element air filters/ K & N filters/ etc. They often cause more problems than anything else...and yes I've tried a few over the years. On the LR3 I just don't think compromising the vehicles abilities for its intended use offset the need to squeeze a touch of hp out of the truck (if in fact you can).

I don't care if my SUV isn't the fastest on the planet, you may feel differently.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rendak