cold start blue smokes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dragan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Start may lr3 2005 today morning wont to go visit lr dialer for may cracking sunroof.
Sun when ay start car I notes a small amount of blue smokes cam from the car
I told them in shop vat is happening in the morning .thea cheeked and didn’t found nothing.
Looks will smoke only when engine is cold. I ask them can be possible bad valve seals he seed not by land rover hi don’t have valve seal hi minced a crack around the valve and if is crack deer hi will not start.
Any idea what can be?

KyRover

Reaction score
I'm definitely no expert on the AJV8 engine but my understanding is that this engine uses a combination spring seat/valve stem seal, so how did the dealer determine that the valve stem seals weren't leaking?

Anyway, check the simple things first like the PVC valve. If that is not stuck then check the seals around the spark plug wells. Pull your spark plugs and see if any oil is on the top side of the spark plugs. If there is oil on the top then these seals need to be replaced. If these start leaking oil can get on top of the spark plug and then slowly seep around the threads of the spark plug into the combustion chamber. Also check the spark plugs to see if any of them are fouled, this will at least narrow down which cylinder to focus on.

If you can't find any obvious problems then you should probably have a compression /leak down test done to determine the condition of the piston rings.

Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4