Cold temperature operation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sixtoch

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I recently drove my LR3 from FL to CO, UT, AZ, NM, LA and back, 5800 miles (December-January) I can gladly say that all the issues encountered where minor and did not stop me and my family from enjoying the trip.

Issues;

FL.
DTC: C1A20 (Pressure increases too slowly) I have yet to replace the dryer to see if I can clear the "Normal height only" message. Fault occurs within 90 seconds from start up.

Mid Kansas-Mid Arizona.
"Normal height only" message still occurred but it was a lot less frequent.

DTC: P0128 (coolant temperature below...) I cleared it a few times with my Hawkeye but it would reappear after a long descend or while operating with low rpms for a prolong period of time.

DTC: U2002 (electric failure; general electric failure) Both Amber/Red Parking brake lights stayed blinking for almost a week till somewhere near Grand Canyon they quit blinking. I was then able to clear the code with no further recurrence.

Mid Arizona-Florida.
"Normal height only" message still occurred but it started to become more frequent.

P0128 again; but has yet to reoccur since I last cleared it, likely caused by a long 2 hour drive at 45mph at below freezing.

"Special programs unavailable" This one would happen out of the blue and would reset itself after re-starting.

FL.
I accidentally scanned the vehicle's security system without the required cable adapter which triggered every imaginable fault and light on the dash to include the flashers and headlights, I quickly disconnected the scanner and started the vehicle right away just to make sure that I hadn't fried anything, several minutes of clearing faults I or maybe the electroshock given by the Hawkeye made the "special programs unavailable" disappear which has remain gone since.

OAT temperature during the trip varied from 70F to -2F.

Both the check engine light (caused by the coolant temperature) and parking brake light were only an issue during the coldest portions of the trip.

On the coldest mornings I could see a large delay on the messages being displayed by message center. Is this normal?

On two different occasions after long drives at below freezing temperatures a smell closely related to a burnt clutch or brakes emanated from the front of the vehicle, it was very hard to pinpoint and I am still not sure if it was my vehicle. This is something that I have not experienced in FL and I do abuse the brakes a little bit.

Since I am talking about issues. Has anyone experience an erratic headlamp operation? I have had to cycle my light switch more than a few times to be able to turn both headlamps on, a headlamp would always turn on but not always both would be on. I was under the impression that it was the left side that was a little lazy but a customer this evening pointed out that my right headlamp was not on and waited for a few cycles till he gave me the green light on both of them, he stated that they alternated till both were on.

Vehicle history: Bought it with 48k miles and it now has 75k.

Previous owner had: suspension compressor, one differential, several overflow bottles replaced and all the regular maintenance done at the dealer.

I've replaced; 2 lower control arms, front brakes, battery (less than 6 months old), cowl screen, right front sunroof drain (I came back from 4 week trip to a 1" of water on the right front floorboard) While drying it I left the sunroof open during a quick FL shower which got the center console a little wet (not enough to panic) Now I am not sure if the parking brake switch and or the special program switch may have not like the minute fain fall 4 moths ago.

Thanks for any of your replies.

Team Jeff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it were mine I'd locate, clean & tighten all the chassis grounds plus the positive cable. Which battery did you get 6mo ago? Even though its new you might check it & the alternator as well.

sixtoch

Reaction score
AutoCraft Gold Battery, Group Size 94R, 730 CCA.

Thanks for replying.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a neat trip!

Mine doesn't seem like it notices the cold...only thing is when we have our temp fluctuations (say 38 one day then down to -5 for a few days) the TPMS light comes on. Once the temp stabilizes it's ok.

sixtoch

Reaction score
The trip was quite nice with over 4000 pictures taken, it snowed on Christmas Day which happened to be a first for my parents, being from Costa Rica they had never seen snow.

I have been back since the 17th and have yet to experience another engine light, parking brake light or any messages related to the special programs, the issue with the headlights does persist.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99