confusion about HDC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere here (can't find it now) that someone had a problem with the HDC being activated and the vehicle immediately slowed down and they almost got rear ended?
When I am rolling- along at 20mph say- and press the HDC button, nothing happens. Is this right? Do I need to be going down a hill? Also, just a short press activates the HDC, meaning the green "downhill car" light comes on. I thought I read that you have to press and hold it for a few seconds.
p.s. I haven't tried pressing the '-' button on the cruise control, but heck I was going 20...

H

Houm_WA

I tried it yesterday at fairly low speeds...I may have even been stopped. I was testing less the engaging-at-speed scenario and more the press-and-hold scenario. Here is what I've determined:

While it is not accurate to state that the HDC button must be pressed and held for "a few seconds" I'd say it does require more than a momentary press, such as what would occur if an object fell on it. Furthermore, with the suspension, terrain response and low range levers surrounding it, the scenario in which a cell phone, water bottle or cheeseburger falls and hits it, activating the HDC at high speeds or otherwise, is not very likely. I think it's fine.

Others concur?

...and yes I was joking about the "cheeseburger-activation."

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'm not worried about the accidental activation as much as wondering if mine works. The manual states that it operates under 30mph. It doesn't have any cautions about not pressing it while under way. I press it coasting at 20mph and nothing at all happens. Shouldn't it slow down? It's not too important, I won't need to use it for some time, but I'll get the dealer to fix it if it's broken.
Basically, I guess I'm asking what anyone else's does when pressed.

T

threeputt

My wife (or one of our kids) inadvertently hit the button several months ago. She called me freaking out saying it was dinging at her and the green icon was on. She never mentioned anything about an abrupt reduction in speed, only that she didn't know what she did - so she pulled over to call me. It was a big relief to hear that's all it was...

Jeff

H

Houm_WA

roverman, just find a downhill street in a residential neighborhood (so you can go slow without causing problems for others) . Stop at the top, engage HDC by pressing and holding for a half of second. When you release the button, the icon should illuminante and the info center should indicate that HDC is active. Then, just coast down the hill. If it is working, you will know...it's unmistakable.

Press it again to turn it off.

S

schafari

Typically, this is a moot point, as even if HDC is "on" if you are touching the gas or brake, it will not interfere. The brake and gas negate HDC from working.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your help, I will try that. Funny because since I've been thinking about it I haven't come across so much as a molehill. My salesman said he didn't even think it worked in high range, which is contrary to the manual. Service didn't have a clue, told me to talk to my salesman. I guess I need to find a hill...
But it sure sounds like that guide at greebriar didn't know what he was talking about, that it does NOT immediately slow down if driving at speed.

H

hummer28

2006 LR3 Would Not Brake ..... Looking for answers

Hello All,

I purchased a 2006 LR3 SE7 on April 1st. To date I have 2800 miles on the vehicle. Today I experienced something really scary. I was backing out of my barbershop parking lot this morning (up a gradual incline). I put the vehicle into drive and put my foot on the brake. As soon as my foot hit the brake the car kept rolling and jerking (going down a gradual decline...nothing steep). I literally had the brake to the floor and the LR3 would not stop. I was almost hit by an oncoming 18-wheeler, but was able to cut the wheel hard right to get parallel to the street I was turning onto. This is my first Land Rover purchase and up to this point I've enjoyed the truck tremendously. However, I can only imagine what would have happened if I had a wife and kids or didn't have the reaction response time I had this morning. Service is closed for today, but I wanted to solicit feedback for similar experiences or stories. I simply can't drive a vehicle with those types of glitches. I've also noticed a snatching between applying the brake and pressing the accelerator. I thought at first it was me imagining things, but it's been happening more and more. I hope I haven't gotten a bad apple. God knows I can't take another one like I had with my 2003 Lincoln Navigator. Any feedback would be great.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The snatching between brake and accelerator sounds like your HDC is on, although braking should supercede it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9