Considering a used Disco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

GadgetRick

My wife and I have a Freelander and want something bigger and we love the ability to drive in just about any conditions (I must drive to upstate NY for ski patrol and they get a lot of snow up there). Anyway, the Freelander is just too small for us and I'm considering getting a used Disco when our lease is up (couple of months).

I'll have between $20k and $30k to spend. I'm looking for a CPO vehicle so I'll have some type of warranty. I've noticed some good deals on '04 Discos with low mileage in the mid $20ks. Anything in particular I should look out for? In other words, are there certain years which had something specific wrong I should keep an eye out for? I want a vehicle which will last me 150k miles or more with normal maintenance and care.

I'm also considering going slightly older and getting a RR instead. It'll be a tad more but they seem bigger. Since we have one child and are thinking of another one it might make more sense to go for the RR. I know basically nothing about the RRs since they've always been out of my price range. If you had the choice, would you go for the Disco or the RR?

Anyway, sorry for the general post. Just starting out looking.

Thanks.

The Rickster

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My DI is kinda on the small side with the wife and two kids. It works but if we have a lot of gear, the rear can fill up quickly. The DII is supposed to have more cargo room. Definately better than the fl. RR's are pretty expensive but have more cargo room. If it were me, I'd go with the '04 DII with more warranty/less mileage. Good luck.

G

GadgetRick

Thanks. I'm sort of leaning that way since I have seen a few at my dealer with 8k miles (HSE no less) for less than $30k. Not a bad deal for (basically) a brand new Disco with all the bells and whistles.

The best I've been able to find as far as a RR goes is like an '00 or '01 for around the same amount (slightly more) but (of course) it'll have a few more miles on it. I like the bigger RR for a lot of reasons but not sure if I'll be able to justify the difference in price right now.

On another note, how is LR's CPO program? I've got a CPO Saab and their's is not too bad (have a few complaints though). I see it's for 12 months or 12k miles. Is that in addition to what's left on the original warranty? If I were to buy an '04 with so little miles on it there would still be a lot left from the original warranty.

Thanks again.

The Rickster

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the remaining standard warranty is transferable. Isn't it 4 years or 50k miles?

G

GadgetRick

Yes, it is 4 years/50k miles. That would work for me.

Thanks for your input. I've got to find what I want now... :)

The Rickster

[email protected]

Reaction score
These guys have some great deals going on right now. I think I saw an SE model with LOW miles, land rover certified for $26K. I just bought an '04 HSE7 for $33K with low miles and got 2.9% from Rover Capitol. Just a good deal all the way around. And since it was LR Certified, i'm covered bumper to bumper for the next 4 years! Good Luck. Reagan

http://hinsdale.landrovers.com/index.cfm?action=home

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM