control arm bushings -

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EIGHTLUG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was it on this board that I read that the RRS control arm bushings could be used on the LR3? The RRS bushings are solid, I believe, and would transfer a little more vibration and noise into the cabin, but that's a fair trade off for longevity IMO.

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My service manager has told me that he has changed just as many RRS bushings as LR3. Plus, do you really want to mess with the tuning of the suspension? The RRS is tuned more for street than trail.

I considered this for a while, then decided against it.

EIGHTLUG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to give it a try. What's the worst that can happen, they wear out at the same rate and I replace bushings again?? I also drive 99.9 % on paved city streets. '06 with 110K miles. Weekends out on the trail never add up to anything close to what I drive in a week, let alone a lifetime of the vehicle.

zulu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry Roverman for late reply.. Like I said, I initially brought the car in for the EPB repair and I did complain about the alignment. They said that they noticed that the car was noisy on the test drive which prompted them to look at the control arms.. and that's when they noticed (or surmised that the nose was coming from) the bushings. They also found a tranny leak too..
Not sure if that helps..

jay_man

Reaction score
Adding to the conversation...

Hello all, this is my first post as I too am trying to resolve the suspension knocking as of late. My 06 LRS SE has 90k miles and just started making these noises about two months ago. Funny enough, I was watching Wheeler Dealers and they had to replace the ARB bushings on a P38 RR. They recommended using the newer poly versions of the bushings...so now I was on the hunt. The best thing I found was from a UK company that sold entire kits specifically for Land Rover, so I feel that it would be a very accurate (and somewhat expensive) solution. What I don't know is how much it will cost to get a certified LR mechanic to replace them all for me. I'll keep you all posted once I figure out the details. Good luck to everyone else.
(I found different bushings at BritAtl, even advanced auto, etc...the UK company is http://www.polybush.co.uk/ )

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I seriously considered the polybush. However after quite a bit of research I could not find anything positive about them in relationship to the LR3.

The issue seems to be that the RED are too hard, therefore nearly impossible to fit, and then adversely effects the handling after installation.

At the time, I contacted the company with questions about availability of the softer ones for the LR3 and never got a response. That being said, I didn't feel that a company charging that kind of money for a kit was very professional. Let's face it, most companies can at least communicate with you before the sale, and it's after the sale that they go radio silent.

I have opted at the moment to stick with the "improved" Land Rover ones.

That being said, if you want to try them, they are available in the US through www.lucky8llc.com

If you decide to try them, post something after you've got them fitted and tested, and let everyone know how it went.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
quick update:
Ford ESP is going to cover the control arms and alignment (whew). Thanks Tyrnian, the hard braking idea was a great way for me to explain to them so they could replicate.
The delay in starting issue is a TSB where they have to clean and relocate a ground something or other.
other things they found...
Leaky coolant reservoir - covered
battery leaking acid and bad negative cable - not covered
need new windshield wipers - BS, they are two weeks old!
All in all a good day, glad I got some use out of my warranty before it expires in a week :)

hell pie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just had my front lower bushings and ball joints replaced yesterday at over 89,000 miles. The knocking had been going on for close to two years. I made two attempts to disassemble the front suspension and do the replacement myself, but It required too much in terms of tools, time, and energy. I took the LR3 to British Eurotech in the Los Angeles area, and they did a splendid job. They don't have an alignment machine yet, so I had that done at my local dealer. The car feels like new now!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635