Cooland Leak 2001 Disco II V8

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

d2dave

Reaction score
Coolant Leak 2001 Disco II V8

Hey all nice site glad to join... now i have a 2001 Disco II with 128K miles V8

My Dad gave me this vehicle but i had to fly down to Florida and pick it up and all i would have to do is repair a blown radiator hose... thats a whole other story...

When i finally got it home to Michigan and got it home and looked at it needed a head gasket and a master cylinder and had both repaired. The mechanic also machined the head and replaced the headbolts. This this was in july roughly 10000 mile ago.

It was running warm not too long ago and the heat was a little cool and i found the water reservoir level was low... I topped off the fluid...

Most recenlty I noticed coolant dropping toward the front of the engine but could not seem to notice where from. It was making a little puddle and it concerned me.

I took it back to the same shop fearing that the gasket repair had failed. He did a block test and a coolant pressure test and told me it checked okay and that the coolant recovery cap was failing losing pressure causing the water to boil and gurge out the overflow exit.

i replaced the cap thinking this was too easy but happy for a simple solution... I topped off the fluid and bled the air out from the bleeder valve.

Now there still is radiator fluid dripping down enough to make a good a little puddle and the reservoir is now emptied. The puddle is near the fron of the oil pan but i cant seem to see the source.

I also spoke to the mechanic by phone (60 miles away) and he mentioned that a water pump could be an intermittent problem that might not be picked up on a pressure test sometimes. ...

does it sound like the head gasket could be leaking again? or does it sound more like a water pump and other hose or coolant leak...

I am going to refill the reservoir and check for leaks from the bottle... i looked at it for signs of wetness around there and only saw what i spilled topping it off the day before.

I replaced the radiator and thermostat before the head gasket repair so they are new.. any ideas??

Last edited:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
First never own a rover if you don't plan to check the water level at least weekly... when the heat is running colder you are about 1 gallon low on antifreeze.

Second the odds are it is the de-icer that is leaking this is normal on all D2's. Drivers side under the intake you will see 2 small hoses, look for the leak there.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want some help, send me your number and I will be glad to help.

d2dave

Reaction score
thanks for your ideas,,, i appreciate your help...

the throttle housing on the intake has been bypassed and is unplugged at both intake connectors it is bone dry...

the return tube from the overflow tank to the intake has been replaced by a rubber gas line which appears to fit to the top of the engine its hard to see .. i am assuming it is where the short little intake return hose would normally connect...

where the line from the reservoir goes into the engine on top i cant really see to well.. however i do see some coolant laying around up there... so perhaps this is causing the issue.. something is leaking ...

well it appears the otherr end of this line is leaking a little too... from the resrvoir where the same gas line is claped to the bottle...

perhaps loose clamps,,, or maybe lots of pressure...

i read in other posts some concern about green fluid... and mine is green.. is this a concern too?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink