Coolant Leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trm2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since a routine LR service to check and top off fluids and perform an oil change about a month ago (coincidence?), I have had a steady leak in my coolant, approximately 6 oz/day. I took it to the dealer, who reported finding the leak in the "lower radiator hose" and "oil cooler" and replaced the hose (why didn't they do anything to the oil cooler itself?). However, the leak has remained, losing coolant at exactly the same rate.

When I refill the overflow tank with antifreeze and water, I notice that the coolant (pink due to the LR additive) is very gel-like. It becomes less so after I top off and run the engine for 30 seconds. It is as if the leak is only water, perhaps through the escape of steam/vapor. There is no indication of a leak on my garage floor or in the engine compartment. The vehicle exhaust does not look or smell funny.

Anyone have any thoughts? The overflow tank? The oil cooler itself?

Also, what is the little black "stick" (looks like a walkie-talkie antenna) slightly to the left of the overflow tank? Mine has a little cap on the top that spins, won't tighten and appears cracked and broken. Some sort of a bleeder valve?

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are under warranty, take it back to the dealer for a pressure test, if not under warranty, find a local shop and have it tested.

trm2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are under warranty, take it back to the dealer for a pressure test, if not under warranty, find a local shop and have it tested.

Yeah, obviously. I was just asking because I have found that the technicians fix problems better when I have found the source of the problem before I brought the truck in.

trm2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update

The official word from the dealership is that, when they put in new coolant after fixing the leak, there was an "air bubble" in the cooling system. It seems odd that it would be of such a size as to displace 18 to 24oz of coolant, but we'll see. They pressure-tested the line and no leaks anywhere.

Also, the black "stick" IS a bleeder valve, for the A/C system.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink