Coolant low warning on- and leaking into passenger footwell??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ehill03

Reaction score
Driving a 2011 LR4, approx 108k miles. 2 weeks ago had my oil changed & fluids checked- all fine.

Last week, took car into LR dealer for front brake replacement & check on air bag recall. Usu go to my favorite local LR mechanic, but had to check a recall and they were booked out 3 weeks. At dealership was told rear brakes also need replacing despite having been done there less than 11k miles earlier (Aug 2017). Also told hydra bushings needed to be replaced.... so, got them done. Their standard multi point inspection was performed as well w no additional major issues of note.

I left for vacation directly from picking up car at dealership. Within 30 mins. the coolant low warning light came on (first time ever). I found this extremely odd given the fluids check 2 weeks prior & 4 days at the dealership. Pulled over to autozone & added recommended coolant, & warning light extinguished.

Arrived at vaca destination and didn’t drive car rest of the week out of an abundance of caution. Finally returned home via vehicle tonight & found a puddle of coolant in front passenger footwell (it's pastel in color and sweet smelling- def not water) & coolant low warning came back on. The warning light has continued to flash on and off erratically for the last 24 hours. Truck has had no previous problems and never been in an accident.

Any clues as to what this could be? Could something have happened while at dealership while other issues being addressed that accidentally damaged this? I don’t want to be accusatory with the dealership (esp b/c already a bit suspicious of a replacement brake job in under 11k miles & an additional charge on the bill they admitted was not owed...) but the timing sure seems suspicious.

Appreciate any thoughts/feedback!

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like you blew a heater core, or a hose/ connection leading to it.. From what I understand, the only coolant lines that get through your firewall are the ones attached to the heater core unit, so if you are getting coolant in there it would be a prime suspect..

I'll keep searching..

Mike

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Below is a link to a number of HVAC files I have assembled related to my LR3. I doubt the mechanicals of your 4 are much different than my 3, (the electrics probably are).

The good news is that your problem is most likely a leak in the heater core and hence the sort of thing that at least one can see and replace. It seems with our vehicles that finding the problem is usually harder and more expensive than fixing it.

Re the link below, I suggest you look at the files related to the two drain hoses that carry exterior rain and car wash water thru the floor boards.

These often over time unhook and you end up with wet carpet. What I am saying is that I think if the hose(s), (one each side of the transmission ****), were connected, that a leaking heater core would show as drips on the ground below your 4 or perhaps no drips, just the smell as the drips sometime puddle on the skid plates.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=30300

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99