Coolant Vapor in Passenger Compartment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DigitalNY

Reaction score
I have a 96' Discovery SE7 4.0 V8 that for the past couple weeks has had a smell of coolant in the passenger compartment. It's gotten progressively worse to the point that now with near 0f temperatures outside my windows instantly fog up with a layer of coolant condensate and I have to keep wiping them off.

Any ideas? I'm keeping the coolant topped off, it doesn't loose much but it's not exactly the nicest thing to have a constant cloud of coolant riding around as a passenger with you.

Heater Core maybe?

Any proposed fixes? Should I try a thing of radiator stop-leak?

DigitalNY

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Easy way to check the heater core is to put a 'U' hose on the hoses going to the heater core, but I would say that is probably the issue.

Do not use any stop leak in a rover... the radiators and engine blocks are all aluminum and you will have major issues.

DigitalNY

Reaction score
Joey,

Where's the heater core located on a 96' LR Discovery SE7, 4.0 V8, Auto? I'd assume it's under the dash somewhere but I don't have a manual handy. How much of a pain is it to replace one usually? Any tips, other needed parts, etc?

Looks like I'm looking at around $150 for a new heater core ($155 through RoversNorth, $149 through BP). I'll have to look at the shipping costs and figure out which I'm going with.

Also, it's throwing at least one code, I'm not quite sure what it is at the moment.. I've misplaced my OBDII reader.. It's around here somewhere.

If I had to guess, it's probably the code related to closed circuit coolant operation.. It's thrown that one a couple times.. Perhaps when I replace the core would be a good time to flush and fill the entire coolant system..

Ric

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nico3dd