Cooler weather = lower MPG

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2nd year running. when the cold weather comes my MPG drops. I know we touched on this last year but i wanted to gripe again this year. I know that noone buys an LR3 for great gas mileage (thats for Kia's and Hyundai's) but with gas prices through the roof again, i have to complain.

a fried in the fuel business claims that the drops are from the junk fuel and winter additives added by the refineries. dont know how much weight i can put behind that but i know that in the last month, i went from 15.5 to 13.5 MPG. Same as last year about this time. With some upcoming trips planned to trek the Appalacian trail, ill need to pack some resevere fuel for safety sake. your thoughts welcome.

davez26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another small mileage killer is the fact that the mixture has to run richer @ lower temperatures.

meyersd

Reaction score
2nd year running. when the cold weather comes my MPG drops. I know we touched on this last year but i wanted to gripe again this year. I know that noone buys an LR3 for great gas mileage (thats for Kia's and Hyundai's) but with gas prices through the roof again, i have to complain.

a fried in the fuel business claims that the drops are from the junk fuel and winter additives added by the refineries. dont know how much weight i can put behind that but i know that in the last month, i went from 15.5 to 13.5 MPG. Same as last year about this time. With some upcoming trips planned to trek the Appalacian trail, ill need to pack some resevere fuel for safety sake. your thoughts welcome.

Your friend would be correct. " Winter" gas is probably already in your tank. Summer gas is more refined, resulting in cleaner burning fuel. Winter gas is not as refined, and therefore doesn't burn as good, decresing fuel economy. The good news is winter fuel doesn't cost as much for refineries to make, so it should help keeps fuel costs down.

matthewmi

Reaction score
Funny, i was thinking the same thing just today. I was wondering if switching down to mid or regular grade fuel would bring the MPG back. Colder ambient air temps reduce the octane requirements for any engine so... What are everyones thoughts on the correlation between octane and miles per gallon? Maybe its just wishful thinking :)

techboydino

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes 15, on mix highway city. but like i said only in the summer on premium of course. i stick with Sunoco adn get 93. They are usually cheaper than anyone else in town. Still dropping over the weekend. Down to about 13.3 according to the gauge. I know they are not always accurate, but its a good baseline. Im looking into some additives from a local mfg who claims they can restore mileage and condition the gas for the winter. Ill let you all know.

di_LR3_co

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in boulder, averaging 13.8 on last tank (filled up about a 1.5 weeks ago)..

matthewmi

Reaction score
I have been getting over 17mpg in city highway mixed driving but now around 15 with colder temps. I tried some mid grade yesterday but saw no increase in MPG, maybe lost a little. I am just going to fill it up with premium and turn off the MPG screen until next year :)
Ignorance is bliss!

DonA

Reaction score
The good news is winter fuel doesn't cost as much for refineries to make, so it should help keeps fuel costs down.

Wishfull thinking, just ask anyone that owns a Diesel if a less refined fuel is cheaper.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM