Cooper Zeon LTZ 285/60/R18

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cooper Zeon LTZ 285/60/R18
has anyone run them in snow more than 1-2xs and on alot of ice
I am betwwen these and the gy SA in a 265/65/18. the gys are rated quite well in snow and on the ice and beeing in northern mich I have snow 6months out of the year.

Last edited:

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
drz, if you can swing it get the Nokian winter tires. I got em last month and they are absolutely remarkable. In fresh snow and even hardpack it's nearly impossible to get the traction control or ABS to go off. Of course, swapping them seasonally is a pain but our awesome trucks deserve it, and become that much more awesome.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't compare the Zeons to much else but I thought they did well in the snow up here this past 2 weeks. I couldn't take on ANY hill I wanted to, but I got around just fine.

yrbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
look at the gy TA/KO have the agressive tread and winter rating

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya I have also looked at hankooks new at in a 265/65
it is looking good
Starting to get sick of all seasons
anyone want a set of all seasons 200 plus shipping to your door in great shape avons just want something more agressive

Last edited:

tommithy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cannot myself recommend the Coopers for ice. I think they do well in the snow but are pretty weak on ice. They do make for an awesome offroad tire though!

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What tire DOES do well on ice?

The Coops are a great all-around tire thus far. I got stuck briefly in some really really deep snow that I got out of after doing some digging/clearing (it was at least 18" deep). Then it took ma a few tries to get over a pile of dirt/mud....my bro did it in his H2 with Toyo MTs. I was happy with that outcome with ATs because it was straight muck!

codemonkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is my first winter with both my LR3 and the Zeon LTZ's. We've had a few snowstorms here in the Denver area, nothing huge but 5-10 inches here and there. Typical Boulder County strategy is to let the snow just melt over a few days, so there can be a few days of snow/ice to deal with.

Overall, the LTZ's have been decent but in no way close to a good studless snow tire (I hate studs, so I've never tried them). In hard braking and accelerating tests it didn't take much to get the ABS or traction control to kick in. This was provoked, so it wasn't an issue, but the limits seemed to come sooner than I thought.

If you've got six solid months of winter driving I'd get some real snow tires - even a run-of-the-mill studless snow will be better than just about any all-season tire.

CoMclovin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the GY SAs and can only say great things about them. The truck handles better with these tires than my last set, rides smoother, and quieter, and the tires handle themselves quite well so far.. I'll post back when I start racking up 15k or so miles on them though.

Shark_LR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We had new Coops - Discoveries in the winter last year. same here - pretty slippery on icy stuff.

I went to some cheapo Hankooks winter radials - so far so good. $1000 for the set.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tango90