Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am wondering if any of you have run 285/60/R18s on an LR4? I have a 2015, and bought some ToughAnt 18" rims, and am now working on the tire selection. I plan to add a 1.5" Johnson rod lift to complete the package. I like the General Grabber A/TX tires, but they apparently do not come in 265/65, to keep the wheel diameter at 31.5 or so. I want to be able to stow the spare underneath, so do not want to go bigger, among other reasons.

Second question, do folks typically put TPMSs on the spare too, and how does the system deal with five tires? Can it do so automatically?

Thanks in advance!

Ian

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't speak to the 285 60 question.

Yes, most TPMS on the spare tire, especially if you plan on rotating in your spare during tire rotations. The TPMS system allows for the spare location sensor to be disabled so as not to cause problems when you lower the pressure to squeeze in a 265 65 18 in the spare bay. You'll need a GAP IIDtool / equivalent or a trip to the dealer / mechanic to turn that spare location off. You can't do it from the dash.

BFG 265 65 KO2's would be my recommendation. It's a proven tire size for the LR4.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe there are a few guys running 285/60s. Umberto is one.

hatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just ordered TuffAnts as well. Any thoughts on the TPMS re-installation? I was going to go with these:

https://tinyurl.com/yx4cq79r

But the Amazon reviews mention a few folks who had theirs come apart after a few thousand miles. Haven't found any alternatives that look compelling, though. Might just ask the tire installer, but if anyone has a recommendation for TPMS straps/bands for re-installing the OEM sensors w/ steel rims, I'm all ears.

Oh, planning to go w/ the 265/65 KO2s, also.

backcountryLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just ordered TuffAnts as well. Any thoughts on the TPMS re-installation? I was going to go with these:

https://tinyurl.com/yx4cq79r

But the Amazon reviews mention a few folks who had theirs come apart after a few thousand miles. Haven't found any alternatives that look compelling, though. Might just ask the tire installer, but if anyone has a recommendation for TPMS straps/bands for re-installing the OEM sensors w/ steel rims, I'm all ears.

Oh, planning to go w/ the 265/65 KO2s, also.

I got the recommended TPMS from tirerack.com when I got KO2s for my Compos. They have worked well for the last 3 years and cost less than half than the stock ones.

Glad I kept my oem ones mounted because I am getting Nokian Hakka R3s installed on my mint 20” OEM black wheels for many Rocky Mountain ski trips this season. Had a mental block about using them since they were so perfect.

After an extremely sketchy drive through a notorious mountain pass driving home from Big Sky in February, I’m done with saving them for no good reason.

I will be sad to not have 18s mounted since 20s and their low profile tires look so stupid on this (beautiful) fat box of an SUV. But, the significant extra traction, stopping power (and hopefully lateral grip, which was the problem I had with 80+ mph crosswinds) will be worth it.

hatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the recommended TPMS from tirerack.com when I got KO2s for my Compos. They have worked well for the last 3 years and cost less than half than the stock ones.

Glad I kept my oem ones mounted because I am getting Nokian Hakka R3s installed on my mint 20” OEM black wheels for many Rocky Mountain ski trips this season. Had a mental block about using them since they were so perfect.

After an extremely sketchy drive through a notorious mountain pass driving home from Big Sky in February, I’m done with saving them for no good reason.

I will be sad to not have 18s mounted since 20s and their low profile tires look so stupid on this (beautiful) fat box of an SUV. But, the significant extra traction, stopping power (and hopefully lateral grip, which was the problem I had with 80+ mph crosswinds) will be worth it.

Sounds reasonable to me. But the ability to install the TPMS is based on the wheel, not the tire, no? Tire Rack couldn't have known anything about the Compos, so how did the recommended TPMS install?

Sorry, I'm a bit lost. Admittedly unexperienced w/ this.

hatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my wheel and tire guy do the install. I don't believe he used any straps or bands to mount them and just used adhesive. I can ask him next week when I see him.

I have a 2015 and these worked after driving them over 5 mph, no programming needed:

https://www.tirerack.com/tpms/detai...toYear=2015&autoModel=LR4&autoModClar=HSE+LUX

Well, at $23/ea, I'm perfectly happy to go this route if these can be installed w/o bands/straps on the KO2s + TuffAnts. I mean, I'd spend $40 on straps anyway, and so spending a little bit more to keep the TPMS on the stock rims and not deal w/ straps sounds fine by me.