Low tire pressure indicator light didn't shut off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The old one is a press fit on the shaft so ince it is over torqued it slips and becomes non functional. I tried. Very cheap and flimsy design. Hopefully the loop model is more stout.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can put the hook used for the jack into a drill chuck..... that's how I've always raised and lowered my tire. Just don't overtorque anything and watch your wrists.

You should always have tension on the cable when raising/lowering so it doesn't bind up.

itsaguything

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think this is one of the stupid systems on our (and other) vehicles.
1. It always rusts out
2. I get to reach under the vehicle to get it
3. Try this off road in the muck
4. You have to clear the way to access the system in the rear of the vehicle anyways…

So, to the engineer who designed this system (clearly someone who‘s idea of adventure is driving over to the next suburb, on the motor way); Well done, you have established that you are either an idiot or a master or plagiarism of stupid ideas.

So, what to do. I submit, if you’re going off the beaten path, install a full size spare where you can actually get at it.
And if you don’t head out, just get a tire repair kit and a compressor and forget the temporary and useless and expensive spare…. after all you will probably just call the car club anyways to deal with it.

Tires today are far more robust than tires of 20 years ago. And the few times I’ve pick up a puncture, I merely topped up the pressure and had the car club flat bed the vehicle to the garage where either it was patched or replaced.

FWIW, this seems to only happen on my sports car. Never on the LR…. it must be those bullet proof AT tires…

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can put the hook used for the jack into a drill chuck..... that's how I've always raised and lowered my tire. Just don't overtorque anything and watch your wrists.

You should always have tension on the cable when raising/lowering so it doesn't bind up.

Just keep the speed down and don't over torque when tightening it up, just snug is the best. The mechanism is fragile with a press fit of the gears on the shaft. A little too much twist and the assembly is *****. If you have a dead one I encourage you to grind the pins and split it open to see how it operates. It's quite ridiculous.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just keep the speed down and don't over torque when tightening it up, just snug is the best. The mechanism is fragile with a press fit of the gears on the shaft. A little too much twist and the assembly is *****. If you have a dead one I encourage you to grind the pins and split it open to see how it operates. It's quite ridiculous.

Never had issues with mine. Rust free (Thanks to Arizona)

My biggest issue with it is you have to empty all your crap out of the back if you get a flat.

I pulled into a gas station right before I was about to hit the trail, heard air leaking out of my tire and luckily I was able to change it in the gas station parking lot. Couldn't have gone at a better time.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know good advice when I hear it and that right there was good advice. To raise/lower I'll need to use a $30 harbor freight drill with a ni-cad battery lol. I bought that drill to punch a hole in an ice cooler to see if it was insulated. To replace it and drill out the fasteners in the winch I was looking at this beast https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/GFD01D Last time I bought a Makita drill they were at 18V and that Makita is 40V :eek:.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 18v LXT kit works great, and my little chainsaw takes two batteries in series. They make a charger that works off of 12vdc, too, so suitable for taking along backcountry (along with the little chainsaw)

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Landroverparts has the winch with the lug nut style crankshaft. Their policy page states they don't do refunds and only store credit. They also sell rebuilt parts so I imagine the winch would be used. $152 including $24 ground shipping, but no tax!

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup that is either old stock of old design or used. The gears are press fit on the shat and over torque ruins the fit making it slip. It may work out of box but you won't know for sure until you put it under a load.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72