Low tire pressure indicator light didn't shut off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I woke to beautiful snow and then a flat tire this morning and thought no problemo, I've got the plug kit, tire compressor and a spare. What happened was the screw hole was too small for the plug kit and it would have been better to either simply air up the tire keeping the screw in there an an eye on the pressure or change the tire.

The plug kit insertion tool wouldn't push the patch ribbon into the tire hole since the hole was too small. I had the bright idea to drill it out so I took a 3/8" drill and went to town. Still too small lol. I beat on that thing with a hatchet as well as a 25 lb weight swinging at it and it wouldn't go in all the way.

I put the spare on and the dash light for the TPMS didn't shut off. The spare does have enough air in it although I'm not sure of the exact pressure since I don't have a gauge. With my last car, the TPMS light was dynamic and if I put more air in the tire the light would shut off once it was w/in psi range. Since the light is still on, does that mean my spare doesn't have a TPMS transmitter or do I need to do something else to turn it off?

flnxT6s.jpg

5VuLJF4.jpg

I'm glad I had the weight and the concrete block, the ground has been saturated for the past several days. The jack itself just started to punch a hole in the ground at first lol

YDc8Zj1.jpg

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The light will light up for the spare, too. It's pretty tough to get the insertion tool through the tire casing. My kit comes with a reaming tool and a bit of lube that you're supposed to apply before trying to insert the patch. My TMPS light came on when I was aired down (as expected) but didn't turn off when I aired back up. The sensor lifetime is supposedly 100k miles/10 years or so, so mine are likely getting weak. Discount tire was able to read the pressure with their reader right next to the sensor, so they are still alive. I haven't tried re-enabling the system to see if it was a fluke. I will probably get new sensors next time I need tires, though.

The weight on the sand to support the jack is good, but that block between the weight and the jack is super sketchy! The jack can extend quite a bit further than you have it. Also, your tool kit should have an extension to the hook rod to allow the "handle" to clear the car better.

ugmw177

Reaction score
how old is your spare? Most times, spares are the age of the vehicle and the TPMS batteries have long since died. The LR4 system is dynamic and as soon as it reads correct pressure from the snesors it will turn off the light..sometimes takes a fefw miles of driving. this system also has a small plastic item secured inside of the fender well cover that "excites" the tpms sensor

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The light will light up for the spare, too. It's pretty tough to get the insertion tool through the tire casing. My kit comes with a reaming tool and a bit of lube that you're supposed to apply before trying to insert the patch. My TMPS light came on when I was aired down (as expected) but didn't turn off when I aired back up. The sensor lifetime is supposedly 100k miles/10 years or so, so mine are likely getting weak. Discount tire was able to read the pressure with their reader right next to the sensor, so they are still alive. I haven't tried re-enabling the system to see if it was a fluke. I will probably get new sensors next time I need tires, though.

The weight on the sand to support the jack is good, but that block between the weight and the jack is super sketchy! The jack can extend quite a bit further than you have it. Also, your tool kit should have an extension to the hook rod to allow the "handle" to clear the car better.
The kit I bought was cheap asf made in China. It had a reaming tool that I put in there before honing the hole out with a drill bit. Then the plug insertion tool had a rounded end to it so it was a b to try to hammer on or push on it. My last hole I plugged was from a rock and it was pretty easy although it took 4 ribbons to fill :eek:

The jack situation was sketch. The wind started to pickup too lol.

how old is your spare? Most times, spares are the age of the vehicle and the TPMS batteries have long since died. The LR4 system is dynamic and as soon as it reads correct pressure from the snesors it will turn off the light..sometimes takes a fefw miles of driving. this system also has a small plastic item secured inside of the fender well cover that "excites" the tpms sensor
It looks like the original? Probably 12 years old now. What may have happened was the 4 tires on the ground had new batteries but they didn't do the spare. Do the sensors have replaceable batteries?

zhl5ed9.jpg

KwMyaeJ.jpg

ujUGlg7.jpg

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should get an inflator… Milwaukee M18 Tire Inflator if you have any of their other tools… plenty of other options that connect to the cars battery terminals or have their built in batteries.

The TPMS is picky about turning off if the pressure isn’t correct.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've used a cheaper kit with 'normal' handles, and it was terrible. I have the ARB speedy seal kit, it has T-handles which lets you apply a lot more force. Batteries on TPMS sensors are not replaceable, they are a sealed unit. When I got the toyo AT3, the spare was still the same original Conti as you - I got a full set of 5 tires, and have been doing 5-tire rotations every oil change (5k).

Last edited:

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tire light went off on its own. Then on the freeway the check engine light came on in solid yellow. I just kept driving to Vegas and back. It runs strong and smooth. I've been driving it since July without any problems. 102k miles on it. I need to check the codes.

While getting the tire fixed, I tried lowering the spare cable and it jammed 1/2 way to the ground. The w_ench mechanism was binding. I reeled it back up a bit and tried again to no avail. I'm going to try putting weights on it in hopes that will help it unwind because I don't have the space to carry a spare inside or on top.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone taken the spare tire winch apart? I see bolts so I can't help to think about taking it apart.

uuLrPRM.jpg

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone taken the spare tire winch apart? I see bolts so I can't help to think about taking it apart.
Yes...it's not a complex mechanism in there. I took it apart to clean it and put some dry lube in it. Also to replace the end of the cable so I could have a pair of Trail'd jerry cans in there and a skid plate on them.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes...it's not a complex mechanism in there. I took it apart to clean it and put some dry lube in it. Also to replace the end of the cable so I could have a pair of Trail'd jerry cans in there and a skid plate on them.
I pulled the w_ench out of there to inspect it. It has rivets for each side of the case. Did you drill out the rivets to open it?

The unit doesn't look serviceable by design. I called the Local Land Rover and they want $453 inc. tax for a new one. No wonder they don't want anyone opening it. I searched fcpeuro for 'spare tire' and I didn't see one come up in the search results to compare a price. Any ideas?

kiT3989.jpg

22EWEc5.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72