CPO 2013 LR4 low miles vs higher miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Elinders

Reaction score
This is sort of a follow up on the last topic about a higher mileage LR4 and being under a cpo warranty, but I didn't want to hijack their post.

We are looking to buy a 2013 the end of January or February, depending on how long it takes to find what we want. The car it is replacing is a 2005 Audi allroad 4.2 that we have only put about 12,000 miles on in the last 3 years (for a point of reference for my question).
It is sort of a strange question; but in a budget concern, couldn't one argue it wouldn't hurt finding a higher mileage LR4 so that some of the maintenance concerns will be taken care of by the warranty?
I'm probably overthinking it but if I find one with 20-30k miles on it, and we only put 10-15k on in the roughly 3 years that it will still be under warranty, then it won't be hitting it's "prime" for repairs until after the warranty is up.
But obviously the other side of getting a higher mileage one is then you have a car with double the miles (or whatever it is) once the warranty is up and there are plenty of other concerns that can pop up at that point.

As I had mentioned in another post; the cpo prices for 2013's are pretty high right now so we are weighing our options and I think I am looking for a little reassurance if we end up getting a higher mileage car, similar to the other poster. I don't want to look at anything earlier than a 2013 because of the warranty time frame, and ideally a late build one, but I know I am asking a lot.
Although, the $599 lease deal for the 2016 going on right now is pretty tempting.

Last edited:

Stealther

Reaction score
I just registered and hadn't made a post yet since had not bought a LR4 yet but I was struggling with that thought myself. I ended up pulling the trigger on a late 2013 with 23k miles. With the CPO warranty it will be covered till 100k miles or 2020 so I feel pretty good about that.

IMO things don't all go wrong at the same time but they start to go wrong after a certain amount of time/wear. Who can say how long that stretch of time is. For me having almost 4 years of warranty before I even consider an extended warranty was too hard to pass up. Combined that it had a HD package on it it was an easier decision.

Elinders

Reaction score
Nice find. Yeah in the end it is going to be a used car either way. I mean we bought our Audi allroad without a warranty at all so I'm not afraid of a little risk! And it worked out, the car has been great.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Elinders, I think your priority is finding a 2013 model year and you have flexibility with the mileage. Your CPO warranty will run out at 6 years, long before you hit 100K miles.

Then again, maybe you can find a good deal on a non-CPO LR4. I had a 2002 2.7T allroad and a 2005 4.2 allroad that I still miss. LR4 ownership is similar. Mostly trouble-free but some issues will come up. You can take your chances with a non-warranty LR4 and probably be fine based on how few miles you will put on it. Just be sure to get it inspected before you buy it with lots of focus on the front suspension. And like the allroad, the LR4 is an amazing go anywhere, haul everything vehicle. It's the closest thing I could find to an allroad.

Some other things to consider...drive a 2013 and a 2016. They are different. I bought a CPO 2013 to replace our LR3, since I just didn't like the V6, eco-stop, rotary shift knob, mandatory running boards and other changes. Get an HSE-LUX if you want nicer leather, cooler box, better radio, etc. If serious off-roading, get one with the heavy duty package that includes a locking rear differential. Good luck with your search, it may take some time. Also, not sure if you are on quattroworld, but you should post your allroad for sale there before you trade it in. Good ones are still in demand.

Elinders

Reaction score
I would love to have the warranty for a couple years, but if the perfect one popped up and wasn't cpo, I will definitely consider it. That was sort of my reasoning with my allroad. It's funny, you are the second person in my short time on this site that has also owned an allroad, and I'm sure there are more. They are similar in a lot of ways. We are expecting our second child in April and have a 70 pound golden retriever, so we need more room and the LR4 is a perfect fit for us.

I have yet to drive a 2016, and it is on my list of things to do. I think my feelings will be similar to yours on the comparisons between the model years; especially the engine. And I keep going back to the fact that if I lease, I'm paying every month to have it sit in my garage basically, with the low amount of miles that I put on my cars.

Thank you for the tips! I am willing to take my time. I did the same thing with the allroad, did my research and waited until the right one came around. I bought it from Bruce M, who you probably know from Quattroworld. This site seems to have a similar group of people that are willing to help out and answer questions.
I definitely want a LUX. The HD would be an added bonus, but I'm not sure I can hold out for the LUX HD combo, there don't seem to be too many of them out there. And I wouldn't take full advantage of it like some of the people on here do, it would be very similar things that I asked of the allroad to handle.
Thanks again for the comments, I am soaking it all in, and maybe these 2013 prices will start to inch down a bit once we click over to 2016.

Elinders

Reaction score
I had to post this description because it made me laugh. This showed up in my search and is from an actual Jaguar/LR dealer.

JUST REDUCED! A premium 'turn by turn' navigation system is included. Extra clean. No rips, no abuse, no cigarette burns. Wanted: Drivers and passengers with long legs. We've got you covered! Here's your excuse to get that boat! Everything is just like new, except the price! Breathe easy! This is a Non Smoker vehicle! Gently used, one owner vehicle. How could you possible fit everyone? A third row seat is how, and this one's got it!

Oh good, no cigarette burns. That's always my first question when shopping for a $50k vehicle; how many cigarette burns does this car have? The whole listing is great.

I would like to meet the person that wrote this ad, I could picture him screaming on my tv; COME ON DOWWWWNNNNN!! ONLY 3 CIGARETTE BURNS AND IT COMES WITH A BOAT BROCHURE!!!!!

I like how buying this car will be the last piece of the puzzle to locking down the boat.

This was a line on another listing: Gets Great Gas Mileage
Ha, compared to what?

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's funny. And I like the quotes for the 'turn by turn' nav. Does that mean, it's like turn by turn, but not really? And what do you call a navigation system that doesn't tell you where to turn? Just 'a map' I guess.

And don't worry short legged people, there will be other cars for you...

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome ad. No cigarette burns!? Certainly a dealer to avoid.

I agree with you...unless you are doing serious offroading, make the LUX a priority over the HD package. We ordered my wife's red LR4 so it is a LUX with HD. I had to settle for LUX no HD on my used LR4, and it does just fine offroad in deep sand on a nearby beach. But be aware that on the 2016, no HD package means no transfer case (low gear) as well. 2013 and older without HD still have low gear.

Small world...I bought my second allroad from Bruce M. as well.

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To throw a vote in their for the V6, there isn't a thing I miss or regret with the scv6 on my '14. With the performance I get I see no reason in getting an older model just to get the v8.

For the right price I'd highly recommend a 2014.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RBA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a CPO 2013 to replace our LR3, since I just didn't like the V6, eco-stop, rotary shift knob, mandatory running boards and other changes.

The 3 things I hate...I never thought a shift knob would matter to me but I really dislike the rotary shift knob AND that eco-stop.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM