crankshaft pulley removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

N8tabasco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Amidst working on getting off the timing chain cover I am stuck on the crankshaft pulley.

I have the RAVE cd and have found the pulley section. It says to have someone hold a striaght edge something or other (perhaps a screwdriver) in somewhere to keep the crankshaft from turning when removing the pulley.

I'm not understanding how this is done, maybe I'm just dumb or missing the point somewhere. Has anyone taken the pulley off before and can give me some info?

I'm begining to think I bit off more than I can chew.

n8

97 D1

Last edited:

N8tabasco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have been thinkin.

Would it work if I put the truck in gear? I assume that would keep everything ingaged and essentally keep the crankshaft from turning.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry I haven't noticed this post... been busy with my new web site.

Do not try to put in gear and remove the crankshaft pulley this will not work out well.

The tool they are talking about can be made at home or purchased, and yes it will help. Basically it is a long bar with four holes to mount it to the pulley and a larger hole in the center to remove the nut. You may be able to borrow or rent this tool from your local NAPA as well.

N8tabasco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Joey

You are talking about a harmonic balance puller right? I tried that route but there are no pre drilled holes in the pulley to connect it to. It is just one solid pulley.

should I try the breaker bar way? Put a breaker bar against the frame connected to the pulley bolt and bump the ignition to loosen the bolt? Its something like 200ftlbs on there.

At this time that sounds abit crazy since I have no oil in the engine but I am sick of not having my truck running.

healey1006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What you need to do is remove the lower bell housing plate and carefully insert a large screw driver or pry bar so to engage a tooth on the ring gear and hold the screw driver tight against the bell housing so it won't move when you try to loosen the crank bolt using a long breaker bar. This is a two man job.

H

hyintegrity

I had just removed my crankshaft pulley. I actually had borrowed a tool from autozone. It was actually a timing pulley puller. It had the normal puller screw on it and then two bolts that you could screw into the pulley. Worked really easy

N8tabasco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Job almost done!

Have what I think might be an issue...

While hooking the radiator back up I noticed that I accidentally pushed through a rubber seal into the oil collection/distrubition part.

It is the lower oil tube on the passenger side of the radiator. Is it a bad thing that this little rubber retainer is now in the radiator hole with no way to fish it out?
Or will it just cycle through the engine for eternity without problems. Its pretty small...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM