cross country drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A

Amir

so, i have decided to do the good ol cross country thing and i hit the bricks next week... have been wanting to do this since years and am pretty excited about it. i will drive from ny all the way to cali. will stay for a couple of days in co for some snowboard/hiking action with a friend, then head to vegas and then finally to cali (most likely the vencie area). definitely want to go thru moab utah area (have read/heard so much about the motor trend' and other' road tests (onroad/offroad) and stuff in that area.) also bringing my mountain bike along to hit some trails along the way.

Any advice on things like scenic routes or other must-visit-areas-in-LR3 sort of stuff? i am also considering hitting the route 66 but dont know what stretches of it should i take and stuff.

will stay in cali for a couple of weeks and during that time i will try to do some more drives back and forth to cali before heading back.

just got the oil change done (again :), the first change was at around 1200 miles. i know, i am truely earning the couple of titles that i have earned here on this forum) at 2812 miles so i guess i should be good for the next three or four thousand miles or so.

Last edited by a moderator:

cbboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you take the part of Route 66 that goes through Oklahoma, you might consider a quick side trip to Little Sahara State Park in Waynoka, OK. There are a bunch of fun sand dunes to play on. Google Little Sahara, and you can read about it. I am taking my LR3 and dirt bikes there next month. Enjoy your trip! Too bad gas is so expensive!

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Amir,
Wow, I'm jealous like you wouldn't believe! I've never done a trip like that so I can't offer any suggestions. I just hope you take a lot of pics to post along the way...and put the Rove to task.
Happy travels!
roverman

A

Amir

thanks guys. yeah i am actually going to pick up a still camera tomorrow for pictures.

Roverine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Amir: Good luck on your cross country trip. I’m sure you will find your LR3 more than capable, as I did mine. I hope you get to do some 4-wheeling here in Utah if you are in the Moab area. While my trip was not right by Moab (across the river about 70 miles west of there), I’ll share my experience to whet your appetite!

I just completed my LR3’s maiden 4-wheeling trip to the east side of the Horseshoe Canyon unit of Canyonlands N.P. in south-central Utah. Horseshoe Canyon is home to some of the finest rock art in Utah, if not all of the USA. The west side of the Canyon is accessible to two wheel drive vehicles. Access to the less popular east side requires 4 wheel drive or overnight hiking. The first 70 miles of dirt road from Utah 24 to the turnoff at the southeast corner of the canyon was smooth and uneventful. I did get a brief (five second) yellow suspension fault warning when I took a turn a little fast and hard with my fully loaded vehicle (3 mountain bikes and 3 nights firewood on the Yakima roof rack, plus coolers, water and gear for 3 people and a dog for 4 days-3 nights).

After unloading and setting up camp just off of the Spur road (on BLM land outside of both the park and Glen Canyon National Recreation Area to accommodate my dog), we did a little wheeling from our camp to the trailhead of the ominous sounding Dead Man’s Trail leading into the Grand Gallery section of the canyon. The hike into the park and to the Grand Gallery is only 1.5 miles from this trailhead, but first the road and then the trail drop precipitously into the canyon. It was quite a strenuous hike at mid-day back out of the canyon and up to the ride. The next day we went wheeling a little bit and then to another trailhead, this time into the northeast corner of the canyon. Where the road ended (it was washed out circa 1997), we hiked for about 4 miles to catch 3 more sites of pictographs. The pictographs in Horseshoe Canyon are Archaic- meaning they predate the Fremont and Anasazi cultures more commonly known in the Southwest (builders of cliff dwellings and graneries in Mesa Verde, think Kokopelli, etc.). The dating of the Archaic art is apparently 2000-3000 years old, versus 900 for Anasazi culture.

Both of the 4-wheel drive roads leading to this part of Park from the east have some easy to moderate difficulty wheeling. It was a good first outing for me and my LR3. We got to know each other better. It took a while to get used to the hill descent, but once I learned to ease off of the throttle on approach to a descent, it worked great. This really is an amazingly capable vehicle off-road. I actually think it is geared lower than my old Jeep CJ-7. The rock crawl and sand modes work very well. I climbed a very steep sand hill on the first attempt so effortlessly it (almost) took the fun out of it-except for grinning afterward at my passengers, who were kind of shocked we were even going to try it! I am going to have some big fun with this truck, especially now that I have red Utah desert sand in every nook and cranny and I’m finally “over” that new car protectionism.

One thing I will say- the trip computer on my LR3 freaked me out. After we camped and drove around (maybe 20 miles) in low range using terrain response “sand” and “rock crawl” modes, the computer started telling me that my range had decreased to about 100 miles. As I knew I had to go at least 85 miles from camp to the nearest gas at Hanksville, UT, I started to become concerned. When we returned to camp the last day before we were to drive out, my computer showed we had a range of only 80 miles-five miles short of Hanksville. My gas gauge showed just better than a third of a tank-but how much fuel was all that low range driving consuming? Well, as we drove out in high range over that good dirt road, the computer adjusted, and before I knew it I had a range of 102 miles. In fact it kept recalibrating, and it turned out I had 90 miles range when I had to choose between ducking into Hanksville or motoring back to Green River, which was my preference in terms of a direct route home. It’s obvious that the low range driving uses more gas than I would have thought for as slow as I was driving. But the trip computer will not rule me next time, as it played with my mind a bit before it returned to reality.

http://i3.tinypic.com/vrq5pf.jpg Camp
http://i3.tinypic.com/vrq1vq.jpg Dead Man's Trail
http://i3.tinypic.com/vrq6bb.jpg Part of Grand Gallery

A

alanmeyer

Roverine, what a cool adventure. I wish I had a better sense of the sand dunes you were able to take. Eventually, I want to get the LR3 over to some sand dunes like Pismo beach, but I have no idea what's easy/reasonable/difficult as far as "dune steepness". I suppose it has a lot to do with driving skill, not to mention factors like tires, tire pressure, etc.

Cheers,
-Alan

Roverine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Alan- I obviously did not measure, but I believe the slope of the sand wall that I climbed was about 30-35 degrees and that it was about 75-100 feet long. I did not get much of a running start (although I did get some), since I had to descend the opposite slickrock wall of a wash and then climb out from the bottom through the sand. I'm running Nitto Terra Grapplers and I did not air them down, as most of my route was slickrock and thin sand or stable dirt. Unfortunately I did not get pictures. I did want to play around on that hill, but my trip computer-induced gas phobia (as well as my passengers' adrenalin levels) prevented further experimentation this time!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99