Cruise works intermittently

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cruise only works some of the time. I'm not even getting the "Cruise Control Not Available" message. Press the set button and nothing happens, other times it works. Last time this happened was back when it was under warranty, it was the clockspring. Anything else to look into besides the clockspring?

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could be the steering wheel switches

I have the same problem, but very intermittent, and it has been there for it seems like years.

I would say a new brake light switch was my first attempt at what seemed like fix a few years back. With the new switch, the problem for the most part went away for a year or so but now reappears perhaps once a month.

I put a new switch in again, but this time, the switch was not the fix it was the first time.

I gather that most often, the solution is replacement of the existing clockspring which you already have done. There is also an argument to say that one of the steering wheel rectangular switches has intermittent contacts or the connectors for the switches are intermittent.

I have tried to determine a defective switch possibility by operating the two cruise switches and also the radio volume switch when the "Cruise Not Available" message appears. The radio volume rocker switch has always worked as it should and the two cruise switches appeared dead, as with your 3. Later on when the problem again disappears, all switches work as they should - hence for me, it may be the clockspring, (or something else), but I just do not know.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an issue a while back with a few of my switches (same ones that work the CC) not engaging with the IIDTool consistently. The folks at GAP told me that can be an issue with the switches and to try repeatedly pressing them (rapidly, like 3 Htz I'd say) about 30-40 times.

...worth a shot.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so perhaps the switches

I am not certain just what 3 Htz means, but the thirty to forty, I understand.

That I will try the fix.

I like the idea of the switches and since the switches can give the IID tool a problem, then it sounds very possible that the switches may also be the cruise problem as well.

Thanks.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3 Htz as in 3 Hertz as in 3 cycles per second.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The brake light switch, is it possible that it fixed it or was it a coincidence that it happened to go back to normal given how intermittent it is? I have a spare brake light switch in the glove box so it might be worth a shot.
No vacuum lines on these for the cruise, right? Since it's drive by wire and doesn't have a throttle cable...

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
coincidence - perhaps but doubt it

That is a good question, but I do think in my case a few years back, the deteriorated condition of the brake light switch had something to do with the problem, and replacement was effectively the fix.

It is a bit more complicated however, in that I also have a theory that the Cruise Problem tended to display itself more with cool or in my case cold weather.

Initially, that is back in about 2008, the dealer line was that all of the 3's tend to display the Cruise Not Available warning when the temperatures dropped below freezing. I would say that view was for the most part, correct, but the real cause of the message was the deterioration over the previous two or three years of the pair of brake light contacts and the deposition of the dust onto the pair of Anti Lock Brake circuit contacts co-located within the Brake Switch. My theory is that cold or cooler weather tended to activate the problem.

The fact that the problem has returned on my 3, I first put down to deterioration of the second brake light switch but replacement of it with a third did not resolve the very intermittent problem. Also when I took the second switch apart, this time, there was no dust visible. As such, I think LR/Ford did perhaps upgrade the contacts on the replacement switches.

Hence the thought that something else is now in play - perhaps either the clockspring or the cruise button contacts or connections.

I am now in the process of actuating the buttons per Houm WA's suggestion so that will take a few days. I will of course be watching for the message.

I might add that I have not seen the message for perhaps two months now for whatever reason. As I previously said, fortunately, the message has for the most part, not been very active on my 3 the past few years.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same problem here as well, mostly does not work. I suspect the clockspring.. They are just ridiculously overpriced.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my order of the possible fixes

With my 3 since it is rarely clear what the solution to any problem us, usually I try the cheapest fix first.

In this case, that being repeated pressing of the cruise buttons for a couple of weeks; then the brake light switch if it has not been recently replaced, and then finally the clockspring.

I just started myself to do the pressing buttons procedure. I do it at stop lights etc, as when driving, it seems like a bad idea.

Re the clockspring replacement activity, one might first consider unplugging the replugging the two cruise switch connectors - actually all of them.

You can consider that to be practice in removal of the airbag without having to actually having to go to the fuss of also removing the steering wheel.

FloridaLR3

Reaction score
had this issue on mine and replaced the battery and all was well. Gl to ya

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112