D1 - bumper tail lights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whiskeynipple

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the orange and the red ones in the bumper:
the orange light up when the car locks and unlocks -
what do the red to - I turned on the lights - rear fogl lights - and brakes - -and nothing - -the bulbs look ok - -I am going to hit the store and get new ones but it seems odd that both are out
I need to know what activates them (lights or brakes) so I can test them if new bulbs dont work

thanks

chris

N

NHESS81

The red I believe are rear running lights when you turn your headlights on. I do not believe they are brake lights. Brake lights are higher on the sides and center of the window I belive (I say they arent brake lights, because they are an 'always on' type of bulb, not a two stager, so I am 99% sure its runnin lights)...your rear fog lights are either just below or just above the rear lights that are higher up on the back. Some rear fog lights utilize the 'braking' set of lights near the running set of lights, but on Land Rovers, the rear fogs are seperate from both the running and brake lights--they are their own, so people dont get confused that you are on your brakes. But to get the rear fogs on, you need your headlights on, and either the drivers door closed or the front fogs on as well. Its wierd, like on my 97 D1 i couldnt get the rear wiper to work unless my door was closed lol rovers....the bulbs are easy, just take em out and get a 12v replacement (I think i used some 'courtesy lamp' style bulbs)....but ya, definately running lights on the lower bumper the yellow parts are the turn indicators...have fun! that was a long somewhat disjointed post by me!

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I did to prevent getting smacked from the rear is add the fog lights to the brake lights. You can see a light come on when off before better than a driving light going brighter when you brake.

.....=o&o>.....

F

FunkyFresh

haha I was just wondering the exact same thing. What do those two rear bumper lights do (not the blinkers, the other ones). I thought they were brake lights at first but they weren't lighting up when I stepped on the brake pedal. So you turn on your fog lights with your headlights on and they light up?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
On the left of the steering column, you have a rear fog light switch, with the headlights on if you press the switch the rear fog lights will come on. Normal on most euro vehicles.

N

NHESS81

the red bumper lights are not rear fog lights...they are rear running lights, turning on whenever your headllights are turned on...the rear fog lights on the D1 are up on the side under the 'big' brake lights i belive...riight?

F

FunkyFresh

Ahh ok thanks. Those little lights have been driving me nuts. I thought they were brake lights and my fuse was blown or they were burnt out but they looked fine when I pulled them out. I'll check to see if they turn on with my headlights.

F

FunkyFresh

Okay, checked out the tail lights and one of them was burnt out but besides that I'm glad to finally know what the purpose of those little things were.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tango90