Dedicated off-road wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cba20k

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I'm considering a set of secondary rims/tires for off-road use and save the 19's + Conti's for on-road use.

I'm having a hard time finding completely unpretentious and inexpensive rims (seriously...I don't care what they look like or if they're alloy vs stamped...unless I'm convinced otherwise on that last point) that fit (based on online configurators).

Does anyone have any suggestions? Any thoughts on 16" vs 17" vs 18"?

As far as tires go, I'm pretty sold on the Coopers everyone likes, but definitely need advice on rims.

Thanks!

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do a search on 18" compmotive wheels on this board as they are the only option for offroad wheels due to our brake size. This topic on this board has some good history and pics that night help you. I'm going to keep my 19" and just get the coppers. I'll keep my michelins for onroad.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We had a lot of discussion about this and you will find some great information on those boards. Like ougrad1, I ended up keeping my 19" wheels and went with the Cooper Zeon LTZs (you can see the dedicated post I did a few weeks back) and I am VERY happy with them! Cooper just started making them for the 19" wheels, so they are definitely a viable option. I was back and forth about going with the 18" Compomotives, but for now went with the Coopers. You will not be disappointed, as they are excellent off-road.

cba20k

Reaction score
Do a search on 18" compmotive wheels on this board as they are the only option for offroad wheels due to our brake size.

Good point regarding brake size.

Honestly, I'm not sure I really want to put my money into bespoke Compomotives for off-road use. It doesn't necessarily strike me as the best bang for my off-road kit buck.

But you got me thinking...would 18" or 19" OEM LR3 rims clear LR4 calipers? It seems like there's a lot up for grabs on eBay (and likely even from my local dealer) from ******* people who buy Land Rovers and immediately donk them. Obviously I'd do a little diligence before buying a set, but it seems like a perfectly rational way to go.

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think there are 19" OEM LR3 wheels but I am 100% sure 18" LR3 wheels will not clear the LR4 brakes. I have the Compo wheels and it gives the 4 a much rugged look and much broader range of selection of tires.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think there are 19" OEM LR3 wheels but I am 100% sure 18" LR3 wheels will not clear the LR4 brakes. I have the Compo wheels and it gives the 4 a much rugged look and much broader range of selection of tires.
That's true - the 18" LR3 wheels will not fit the LR4. If that were the case, I think a bunch of us would have switched out our wheels.

I know that I purchased a couple of 19" wheels from eBay (to use as spares) and they came off a Range Rover Sport. I think if you get 19" wheels that housed a 255/55/R19 tire you should be fine. I am not sure if the LR3s had 19" wheels, but I know the RRs and RRSs did - same as our LR4.

-David

cba20k

Reaction score

There are, although they were/are an optional accessory.

Pulled directly from the Land Rover LR3/LR4 accessory catalog:

lrWheels.jpg

What's odd is that there's nothing there to indicate that they wouldn't fit even though there's model year "requirements" listed beneath them.

The only possible difference would be the bolt pattern, but highly doubt that was changed from LR3 to LR4...of course...I could be wrong about that, and haven't researched it just yet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM