Diff breather, should I bother?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BearishDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ahmm I think I read somewhere that the old one had issues venting the pressure or somethinglike that. This doesn't happen with the updated one hence protecting the diff from building pressure which eventually leads to leaks or worse.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The difference is the old one was a plastic "hat" fixed to the vent tube, which is hard plastic. I was plugging, which will cause pressure and seals to blow out. The new one is a different shape, and venting strategy.

The install is very simple, cut at 45 degree angle, slip the new one over the tube, face it toward the rear. Very inexpensive, a 2 minute fix, and good insurance.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In this case the improvement is obvious. The new breather cap is significantly larger and allows better release of pressure.

hell pie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the new breather cap on my front diff vent. What I think is strange is that both the transmission vent and transfer case vent are also in the engine compartment, but neither have a cap. They are simply tubes that go upwards and then have a downwards bend.

BearishDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the new breather cap on my front diff vent. What I think is strange is that both the transmission vent and transfer case vent are also in the engine compartment, but neither have a cap. They are simply tubes that go upwards and then have a downwards bend.

:confused::confused: are they really?!? I've never been able to find them, I thought the rear one was near the rear diff (obviously higher) somewhere between the b and d pillars

cmb6s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I remember somebody saying that the rear diff vented in/around the gas filler cap?

hell pie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both the transmission breather and transfer case breather are located in the engine compartment between the engine and the firewall. I don't know the exact location of the rear diff breather, but I would imagine it is located close to the rear diff.

BearishDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This one has got some sort of filter I believe...
Perhaps you can, but I wouldn't risk my front diff for £15

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM