Disco 1 Radio Removal...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T

Tunerworks

Anyone know how to take out the stock Radio/cassette player in my 95 Disco 1? I think you need a BMW Radio Removal tool, but is there any way around this?

D

discomike

No, not without breaking it. You might go to a radio repair shop or something like Circuit City and ask to borrrow the removal keys.
Mike J.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude , pony up about 15$ and walk to next car stereo store or something like Sears.. :) They will be happy to get it out for ya :)

You need extraction tool, not necessary BMW one, but still - need special tool.

V

vandermeulen

If it's the same as a D1 with the Pioneer then all you need is a tiny flat blade screwdriver. Something like you would use for glasses or small electronics. It just unscrews on either side. When it doesn't turn anymore, then it'll just slide out. I just replaced mine last week. Remember that Disco's have common speaker grounds so if you want to use the stock amp, speakers and sub then you'll either rewire everything or use something like a PAC OEM-2 unit that will let you use a newer headunit with a common ground system. (they are about $30 US at most stereo shops).

Hope that helps! and Good luck.

Militant-Grunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldnt try it, I tried it, it was a pain in the butt, I heard some cracking noises so i left it alone =/

D

Day-Mo

Best way I found was to jam a big flat blade screwdriver down the left hand side of the headunit and just leaver that side out then use the blade to push the 2 pins in on the other side, found out after a big strong knife works just as well, got mine out with no prob's

only problem comes when fitting new one as if you don't slice the origional wires and use a adaptor harness like iv'e done there is nowhere for the wires to go, and you end up with the head unit standing 2" proud of the centre console, what you have to do is leaver the air vent up of the floor and tuck the 2 big connector blocks under there then you can carefully tuck the unit in place flush.

hope thats of some help to you

P.S. do not even think of putting a amp onthere unless your RCA's on the head unit are on a short lead from the back as they will not allow the unit to sit flush, I use a Alpine head nit on which the RCA's are the Sub out which are on a little lead, just tuck them under with the connector block.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72