Disco 5 hit with the ugly stick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frank8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree with umbertob. To not mention the Discovery 5 after a year of sales is very telling. As far as the increase in Range Rover sales I'm somewhat not surprised. Years ago when looking for my 95RRC LWB it became obvious where RR sales were located. That was NJ, FL and TX. Forget looking in CO or most midwestern areas. Now, this may or may not be a factor but who had significant weather related damage in 2017? Well TX and FL. I wonder how many of those sales were replacement buys.

As far as CO, I have yet to see a Discovery 5 on the road, have seen a few Discovery Sports and many LR3/4's.

Of course that raises the spector of what happened to all those flooded cars? In previous disasters many were dried out and shipped up north.

lally

Reaction score
The D5 is objectively ugly. The Grand Tour gave it an award for ugliest back. I don't know anyone who thinks it looks good on real life.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The D5 sales are definately below their original expectations, they seem to be below the 2015 D4 levels (2016 was a phaseout period). That is why there are so many commercials highlighting the D5, at least around here. Interesting, I have not seen nor heard a peep about the Velar since its launch, in fact there still is not a forum here for it, yet its sales are close to double the D5, so clearly people are finding it and buying it! Looks like that was a winner for LR and probably will enforce their push toward the Road Rover line and all things mainstream.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw a Velar at my local J/LR dealer recently and at first I thought it was an Evoque. That made me question why they felt the need to stuff another model in between the RR Sport and the Evoque. But based on @catman's post I went to the LRUSA website and treated myself to the marketing fluff and photos about the Velar and I have to say it's a nice-looking package in its own right and at a decent price for someone who wants to say they drive a nicely equipped Range Rover. Yes it follows in the trend of squashed roofline and oversized wheels and too much bling for my taste but it looks like a sleek vehicle if I set all comparisons off to the side. Now I'm not surprised that it's selling well.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you read between the lines and the sugarcoating of today's press release, 2017 wasn't that good of a year for JLR in North America. If it weren't for the new Velar (which surely cannibalized sales of the Sport somewhat, though) and the surprising double digit increase of the big Range Rover...
Ugh. Not good to hear that about the brand not doing well.

I have been suprised by the number of Range Rovers I have been seeing around me lately. It may be how people look at me in the LR4, but I look at those RRs as very pricey beasts for the local soccer moms to be driving. And that's who is always in them. I guess they see all the Hollywood socialites driving them so that's what daddy buys them. :D

I saw a white RR yesterday with black top. It looked pretty sweet. If the cost wasn't an issue, that's what would be parked in the garage next to my LR4 instead of the wife's Q5. I just won't tell her that was even an option, though... :laugh:

COangela

Reaction score
A few months back I had spied a D5 at the local dealer. I wasn't fond of the design and especially the rear end but I failed to appreciate just how awful it was. Fast forward to today. I was overtaking something that looked like an Explorer but with a larger more bulbous ass. Could it be? My first D5 sighting in the flesh? As I got closer the vehicle just looked worse and worse. The big butt was finished in a dark green. Looked awful. I didn't want to post this in the D5 forum as it may offend but that is a butt only a mother could love.

Hope the Defender comes soon and isn't hit with the same ugly stick.
Oh gawd... I feel the same way. And I've been looking into replacing my LR3 and waited specifically for the new Discovery to come out. When I saw it in person I wanted to cry right there in front of the salesman. And mind you, I'm not a shy person and have voiced my opinion freely to anyone who will listen (secretly hoping someone important and with some actual ability to get that feedback to someone else important who can actually do something to fix this horrid mistake) while continuing to shop for a now non-existing replacement. My response to the visual of this, and as you tightly pointed out specifically the back end, is that it looks like a Dodge had a baby with an Odyssey and then stuck a Land Rover badge on the front. But what really disappoints me the most is the back seats. While there is some clever storage options in the front, that is ALL there is. (Still haven't been able to do anything with that awful infotainment system?!?) The back seats are horrifying. Cheap, flat, uncomfortable. And they make me feel as if I've been sent to the principles office... small, and wondering what I've done to deserve this. In that size of a vehicle it's just uncalled for. And after all these years of making square look ****! It's fallen so short of my expectations I'm actually sulking. Sorry if this is a bit "rant-y", but if anyone could understand my disappointment it's bound to be a member of this group.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh gawd... I feel the same way. And I've been looking into replacing my LR3 and waited specifically for the new Discovery to come out. When I saw it in person I wanted to cry right there in front of the salesman. And mind you, I'm not a shy person and have voiced my opinion freely to anyone who will listen (secretly hoping someone important and with some actual ability to get that feedback to someone else important who can actually do something to fix this horrid mistake) while continuing to shop for a now non-existing replacement. My response to the visual of this, and as you tightly pointed out specifically the back end, is that it looks like a Dodge had a baby with an Odyssey and then stuck a Land Rover badge on the front. But what really disappoints me the most is the back seats. While there is some clever storage options in the front, that is ALL there is. (Still haven't been able to do anything with that awful infotainment system?!?) The back seats are horrifying. Cheap, flat, uncomfortable. And they make me feel as if I've been sent to the principles office... small, and wondering what I've done to deserve this. In that size of a vehicle it's just uncalled for. And after all these years of making square look ****! It's fallen so short of my expectations I'm actually sulking. Sorry if this is a bit "rant-y", but if anyone could understand my disappointment it's bound to be a member of this group.

LOL and agreed! Looking forward to more posts like this from you, @COangela !!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM