Disco 5 hit with the ugly stick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Discovery 5 fits within the design language of the Evoque/Velar. Look at Land Rover, BMW, etc and you will see a common theme across all models - the "design language". Sometimes the result is a unique and easily recognized image. Other times not so much. The Discovery 5 is in the not-so-much category. Likely the goal is to expand the customer base by offering something that appeals to a broader audience. The risk is you lose your soul and become just another vehicle. Looking at the Land Rover web site I see model offerings that are all the same, just a different size. Wouldn't be surprised to see the Discovery revert back to its roots as sales growth is limited.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree. It reminds me of the phrase sometimes used in sports. Do you play to win or play to not lose. I think LR is "playing to not lose".

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree. It reminds me of the phrase sometimes used in sports. Do you play to win or play to not lose. I think LR is "playing to not lose".

Well they certainly aren't focused on winning back LR3 & LR4 owners. And I'm not sure the D5 HSE-LUX will win going up against the Q7, X5 or XC90.

Even tougher challenge for the on-road coil spring base D5 vs. a less expensive Explorer, Highlander, Pilot or Traverse. That family hauling SUV league is a very competitive one with lots of teams and players.

Last edited:

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Discovery 5 fits within the design language of the Evoque/Velar. Look at Land Rover, BMW, etc and you will see a common theme across all models - the "design language". Sometimes the result is a unique and easily recognized image. Other times not so much.

BMW just said that they are now going to start moving more away from so many similar models. Their claim was that it was intentional to create a universal brand identity/image, especially in China, but now that they have established that (again, especially in China), they are going to start reverting to more unique lines. It sure seems Land Rover is doing the same thing, trying to create a universal identity/image and at some point will also have to revert the process to keep things fresh. BMW mentioned it was a 10 year process to create that image and so it will be a processes to move away from that as well. So, maybe the 2028 LR7 will be the what we're after!

http://www.bmwblog.com/2017/09/18/bmw-looking-differentiate-design-models-future/

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get the sense that LR is chasing a market that was hot 5 years ago - when they were committing to the Discovery. But they were following makers who had designed their models 5 years ahead of LR. So what they are now launching is “me, too” rather than anything that innovative.

COangela

Reaction score
Of course you need to do what I did...replace your 2008 LR3 with a used LR4. It may take some time and searching but the right one will come along. I found mine 1000 miles away with just 13K miles on it. Look for a 2016 Landmark LR4. Coming from an LR3 the SCV6 will be fine.

This was a consideration for us, and did look at one that had all the safety features we had been looking for. But the V8 engine in the LR3 is so good. The transmission will have to be replaced... but that engine could run forever. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

COangela

Reaction score
Of course you need to do what I did...replace your 2008 LR3 with a used LR4. It may take some time and searching but the right one will come along. I found mine 1000 miles away with just 13K miles on it. Look for a 2016 Landmark LR4. Coming from an LR3 the SCV6 will be fine.

Paul- we’ve been looking for months now. It’s really hard to find everything I want in an LR4. You know what’s really funny though? If I do go LR4, I’m going to REALLY miss that extra passenger side cup holder by the glove box! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I do go LR4, I’m going to REALLY miss that extra passenger side cup holder by the glove box! Lol

I always thought that was a small but cool feature, too. I never had an LR3 but admired them when I drove a RR. Every time I would see one on the road I would have a pang of buyer's remorse and wonder if I should have gotten that model instead. I liked the interior touches that overlapped with those of the Disco 2, especially the center stack and those beefy distinctive primary cup holders with the cutouts for the handle of your travel mug. Funny how little details can get our attention.

to8nbeyond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Paul- we’ve been looking for months now. It’s really hard to find everything I want in an LR4. You know what’s really funny though? If I do go LR4, I’m going to REALLY miss that extra passenger side cup holder by the glove box! Lol

Just picked up an LR4 last Friday. Totally love it and I'll post pics later but the first time my son sat in the passenger seat that was the first thing he noticed. We have an LR3 also and we use that glove box cup holder all the friggin' time. I also can't seem to find a great place for my cell phone and glasses. The shelf under the screen is great in the LR3 and vanished in the 4.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM