Discovery 1 or 2... which is better?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

F

FunkyFresh

Do you guys like the Discovery 1 or 2 better? I have a 1, (a '97) and I like it because it doesn't have air bag suspension and it has the big defender wheels, but looks-wise I like the tail lights and door handles of the Discovery 2's. I would like to do the headlight conversion so it would look like a 2005 Discovery, but I haven't found much information out there or parts to do it.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Opinions..... Ouch...

Air bags are only on SLS equipped vehicles. I like the D1 manly because you don't have half the electrical issues that can come up on the D2.... but the D2 rides and handles better, and when all is working correctly has more creature comforts.

J

john65b

The light mod - is it easy or do I have to replace or modify a bit of the moulding? The newer light assembly has a curved bottom moulding, while my '02 headlight has a flat/straight moulding...Most of the stuff on ebay regarding the headlight mod looks like BS...one guy selling the instructions for $40, nothing else, just the "secret" instructions...

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Do a search on here, I posted this last year I think... if you do this I recall cost being in the $1500 range to make it work. Plus once you start, it is almost impossible to go back, due to the hacking of the mount area.

J

john65b

$1500 for the headlight conversion? Whoa, not worth it to me...I was thinking in the sub $200...$1500 buys a lot of beer and golf in Utah...

F

FunkyFresh

lol true... I was hoping to do the headlight conversion on my 97 Disco cheap too... Like $500 or less, but it sounds like a lot of work and expense to do it.

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You again, i'll take my 95 D1 with less electronics to fail (they have enough like rear window puter) and cup holders besides the 95 has OB1 with a direct number print outs of trouble faults. I can read, correct and clear faults on engine including the ABS system then clear everything at home without being another poor sucker stealers bleed money from as they smile. Air suspension, when it fails go from bank with wheel barrel full of money or any other stealer only diagonestic check up.

.....=o&o>.....

F

FunkyFresh

That's what I'm sayin... I like the look and engine of the newer Discoveries, but I like that mine is simple enough to work on at home for the most part.

N

NHESS81

Luxury=DII, Use=D1....thats about it. D1 rides and drives like a true truck, DII isnt quite as much of a dump truck lol. But, I liked Land Rovers for their real or perceieved ruggedness, and I dont know, D1 still retains that rough and tumble look more than the DII does in my opinion. Id say get an early 01 or 04 model DII so you can at least throw the CDL in it if you go that route. Or just say with the 97 you got and call it good enough...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM