Discovery 2 shifting problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nordlander

Reaction score
Hello, My 2001 Discovery 2 surges or slips in and out of gear when the weather is very cold or not warmed up. As the day and the Rover warm up problem lessens and sometimes dissapears. On warm days no problem at all . Last year at this time I was having the same problem.My mechanic tuned the Rover up and also changed my transmission fluid and gasget.He said the fluid was a somewhat low.Whatever he did cured the problem -until now.The rover goes in to check the fluid level on Thursday- is there anything else such as a module that could be causing this problem? All help appreciated!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like the fluid is low...

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why are you paying some one do do what you should be doing if you want to make sure everything is proper with your truck?
If you can follow directions, I can walk you through what to do, if so send me your number and I'll call and walk you thru this, if not, have a shop do it and verify the level as well as the condition of the fluid. When was the tranny last serviced?

Nordlander

Reaction score
Why are you paying some one do do what you should be doing if you want to make sure everything is proper with your truck?
If you can follow directions, I can walk you through what to do, if so send me your number and I'll call and walk you thru this, if not, have a shop do it and verify the level as well as the condition of the fluid. When was the tranny last serviced?

Thanks to both for your replies. Mike I don't have a lift and according to LandRover the Rover must be run through the gears while running while up on a lift while being filled from underneath. I actually was with my mechanic whle we did it last year to answer your other question . If you have a simpler way that I can do it myself I would love to hear it . Thanks again

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a little close under there, but most people crawl under and check the level, after running thru the gear, putting it in park and with the engine running, open the fill plug to check the color of the fluid and the level. If nothing comes out, it is cold.

Nordlander

Reaction score
It is a little close under there, but most people crawl under and check the level, after running thru the gear, putting it in park and with the engine running, open the fill plug to check the color of the fluid and the level. If nothing comes out, it is cold.

Should you just fill it till it runs out and replace plug? Do you know the size of the wrench offhand?

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With the engine running, yes fill it till the fluid runs out. In your case though, before you fill it, if it needs it, see what color the fluid is, red or brown and see if it smells burned.
Get back to me.

Nordlander

Reaction score
With the engine running, yes fill it till the fluid runs out. In your case though, before you fill it, if it needs it, see what color the fluid is, red or brown and see if it smells burned.
Get back to me.

The Rover goes in tomorrow for a fluid change and check.I will let you know the outcome.Thanks again!

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do not have it flushed, and before they change the fluid have them verify the condition of the fluid, be it brown, red and or have a burned smell.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo